Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Cleaning kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning kits?

Cleaning you AR15.
Any preferences?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 172 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 281

I like carbon blaster...i think thats what it is called. But a cheap outers kit from walmart does a fine job too.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 976

RC,

I do not like the kits that are available on the market as a package.
Most have cheap aluminum rods that in time break. Also some do not have standard rod threads or tip threads. So you might have to buy another kit just to get the section or whatever you need. I would suggest going to the Sinclair International, Brownells, Midway USA and Dewey for example to see the good products. I prefer a cleaning rod with the ball bearing handle and with the coated rod. They can be used obviously to clean and will not damage the barrel along with I also use them to tell what barrel twist is in the rifle if it is not marked. I believe I have addressed that procedure in a previous post. I also use a Parker Hale type pointed Jag and not the normal slotted tip. I think it does a better job of cleaning. The companies above have all sorts of neat AR and Rifle Cleaning products including an insert with a rubber O ring that is inserted into the chamber to prevent dirt and debris while you are cleaning from getting back into the Barrel Extension and in the Locking Lug area. As far as Bore Brushes use Brass or the New Blue Nylon Brushes that are available. Never use a Tooth Brush since the adhesive that holds the Bristles in are attacked and loosened by solvents and may drop in places they should not be causing problems. Use an AR-15/M16 Cleaning Brush. You can get them from the above or at a gun show for about a $ Buck! Never Clean the Carrier Key with a Q-Tip. If you are going to clean in use Pipe Cleaners. The example being if part of a Q-tip comes off in the Carrier Key and once the rifle is shot it turns Black and you may not know what is causing the problem because it then is very hard to see since it is burned and Black. I use Hoppes #9 Solvent, Shooters Choice and Break and Parts Cleaner. *Cheaper than Gun Scrubber! And lube with G-96 or the Mobile#1 Synthetic Oil Formula we have addressed a few times here on the FTF. 1 Qt of Mobil One Synthetic 15W-50 and 1/2 Qt. of Mobile #1 Synthetic Trans Fluid. Mix and you have 1 1/2 Quarts of excellent AR Rifle Lube or for other applications.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Liked 172 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
RC,

I do not like the kits that are available on the market as a package.
Most have cheap aluminum rods that in time break. Also some do not have standard rod threads or tip threads. So you might have to buy another kit just to get the section or whatever you need. I would suggest going to the Sinclair International, Brownells, Midway USA and Dewey for example to see the good products. I prefer a cleaning rod with the ball bearing handle and with the coated rod. They can be used obviously to clean and will not damage the barrel along with I also use them to tell what barrel twist is in the rifle if it is not marked. I believe I have addressed that procedure in a previous post. I also use a Parker Hale type pointed Jag and not the normal slotted tip. I think it does a better job of cleaning. The companies above have all sorts of neat AR and Rifle Cleaning products including an insert with a rubber O ring that is inserted into the chamber to prevent dirt and debris while you are cleaning from getting back into the Barrel Extension and in the Locking Lug area. As far as Bore Brushes use Brass or the New Blue Nylon Brushes that are available. Never use a Tooth Brush since the adhesive that holds the Bristles in are attacked and loosened by solvents and may drop in places they should not be causing problems. Use an AR-15/M16 Cleaning Brush. You can get them from the above or at a gun show for about a $ Buck! Never Clean the Carrier Key with a Q-Tip. If you are going to clean in use Pipe Cleaners. The example being if part of a Q-tip comes off in the Carrier Key and once the rifle is shot it turns Black and you may not know what is causing the problem because it then is very hard to see since it is burned and Black. I use Hoppes #9 Solvent, Shooters Choice and Break and Parts Cleaner. *Cheaper than Gun Scrubber! And lube with G-96 or the Mobile#1 Synthetic Oil Formula we have addressed a few times here on the FTF. 1 Qt of Mobil One Synthetic 15W-50 and 1/2 Qt. of Mobile #1 Synthetic Trans Fluid. Mix and you have 1 1/2 Quarts of excellent AR Rifle Lube or for other applications.03
Awesome...learn something new everyday....

Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Get yourself a boresnake and some type of cleaner made for firearms.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

I use a standard aluminum rod cleaning kit. They are great for doing the bore. They will last a long time if you're careful about grabbing the rod closer to where it goes into the rifle. I think aluminum is quite nice to the barrel as far as softness. Just have to baby it a little. That and they're inexpensive.
I use a USGI M16 cleaning kit for a chamber brush though, they fit quite tight in the chamber and the threads don't match my first handle piece of the aluminum kit.
Just about any gun solvent will do fine. Hoppe's is great. Personally I use my own brew of Ed's Red. (1 part of each: Synthetic ATF, Kerosene, Mineral spirits, Acetone) Then finish up with a few drops of Mobil 1 on the high wear areas and pivot points.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Get yourself a boresnake and some type of cleaner made for firearms.
How do they work? How do you get it into the barrel?
Do you also buy the Bore Mop, Bore Brush.

I like the idea of something more controllable, like the Dewey Rod. The Parker Hale pointed Jag looks like it will clean a lot better.

Last edited by rccalzadilla; 08-28-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Adde a line

Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Sniper03:
Is 8/36" the standard thread?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

What do you guys think of this kit?:
Otis Tactical Gun Cleaning System - MidwayUSA

Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
How do they work? How do you get it into the barrel?
Do you also buy the Bore Mop, Bore Brush.

I like the idea of something more controllable, like the Dewey Rod. The Parker Hale pointed Jag looks like it will clean a lot better.
It has a weighted brass tip you drop into the barrel from the chamber side. You grab onto the end as it protrudes from the muzzle and pull. It has a built in brush but the majority of it is a cloth rope that mops up what the brush breaks free. One or two pulls and you're done.