cleaning a gas tube
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > cleaning a gas tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default cleaning a gas tube

How often does this need done and what should it be cleaned with ? I have prowled around looking for this info but not finding much

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

You don't have to clean the gas tube unless you really foul it up somehow. Like shooting thousands of rounds with a .22lr conversion unit or maybe a 5.45x39 upper with lots of corrosive ammo. Better not to mess with it otherwise,

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You don't have to clean the gas tube unless you really foul it up somehow. Like shooting thousands of rounds with a .22lr conversion unit or maybe a 5.45x39 upper with lots of corrosive ammo. Better not to mess with it otherwise,

Thank you that's what I figured but wanted to make sure

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

If you do have a fouled one there are really long pipe cleaners for doing that.

But i think its just easier and cheaper to replace it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

I just spray some brake cleaner through and call it a day. Keeps my gun going fine. But then again I am an @$$hole who doesn't play well with others . Quentin is right, you don't really need to clean it, but since I am using the brake cleaner for the BCG anyhow (did I mention I am also a lazy@$$?), it doesn't take but a couple seconds extra. Just make sure that you run the patch through the barrell afterwards if you chose my method to catch any carbon that gets pushed through the gas port. Back in the day when ammo was a bunch cheaper, I use to pull the barrell off to clean it white glove clean after every trip to the range cause I was sending hundreds of rounds a day downrange. Now not so much so. Through experience, I have found too much cleaning may not be so good for the gun after all. I digress. Point is, Quentin and Jon are right. Not really necessary unless you are shooting a bunch of really dirty ammo or blanks.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin