Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Cleaning accessories for short stroke piston driven ar 15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

We should combine your 2 threads as they seem to be mirroring each other.

I have a LWRC much higher quality than the Stag and I still could have spent my money better by going BCM, Colt, LMT, or Daniel Defense.

Not too bad? Well, take a look at the responses you're getting. Take what has been said and use it to make a better decision. It's your deal do what you want but why create a thread if you're not willing to listen to opposing viewpoints? We have nothing to gain or loose.
thinking about it, ill check lwrc again and bcm,colt or lmt and maybe go for a D.i. ....reason being, d.i.s are more common and if i need to replace a part, they're interchangeable unlike gas piston, some of them can only take piecesfrom their maker...i did check lmt and saw the defender standard model 16 by lmt. looks good would you recomend any of their rifles specifically.
i apologize if i sounded ignorant to peoples responses ...

Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What do you intend to use this for?

What ranges do you plan on shooting?

What kind of ammo do you think you will be using?

What is your budget (minus optics mags and ammo)?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

I'm thinking I should have my last post stickied........

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Ain't that the truth. It would be a great sticky, I wonder how many times a dozen of us have typed that!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

"stickied" i dont know what that refers too....im plnning on using it for : target shooting,hunting, self defense
price range : 0-2500 max (if rifle is worth it)
type of ammo : Commercial grade
Range : 0- 250yds

Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
thinking about it, ill check lwrc again and bcm,colt or lmt and maybe go for a D.i. ....reason being, d.i.s are more common and if i need to replace a part, they're interchangeable unlike gas piston, some of them can only take piecesfrom their maker...
Yep, you're starting to see the light. One of the biggest concerns about piston ARs is that you could be left with an orphan down the road. No doubt there will be a shakeout of competing designs and some manufacturers will drop support for a losing design to go with a winner. Why choose now to enter that mess for so little to no gain.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
"stickied" i dont know what that refers too....im plnning on using it for : target shooting,hunting, self defense
price range : 0-2500 max (if rifle is worth it)
type of ammo : Commercial grade
Range : 0- 250yds
Stickys, or stickies if you like, are at the top of the forum, they're important threads stuck up there for people to read. Hint, hint!

Definitely read AgentTikki's AR Primer. Read it again and again until it starts making sense, it's that important and will help you make good decisions. It's extremely well written, has almost all the important info you need yet is very clear and succinct.

That's a wide budget you've got there. I'd tighten it up, $1000 buys are very nice basic AR like a BCM or Colt that will be reliable with most ammo. DI of course. Upgrades can push you quickly to twice that price if you're looking at quality rails and optics.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 03-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #18

i'd spend up to 2500 max if the rifles worth it. 1000 range is ideal and more reasonable price. seeing how D.i has been here longer that gas piston in ar platform, i might actually go for it. il check out bcm and colt see what i do, true i can get a good rifle from them at this price compared to mid tier stag gas piston at this price...thank you

Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #19

You have a very generous budget.

In no particular order any of these are great rifles:

Knights Armaments
LaRue
Noveske
BCM
Daniel Defence
LMT
RAINER ARMS
POF
Colt

price ranges from about $1000 to $2000+

any 14.5 or 16" will be more than adequate for the ranges you will be shooting, except for the 0 yards......

Just a note, I'd rater have $1000 Ar with an Aimpoint and mount than a $1700 without one. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-31-2012 at 06:40 PM.