Cleaning accessories for short stroke piston driven ar 15?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Cleaning accessories for short stroke piston driven ar 15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Cleaning accessories for short stroke piston driven ar 15?

im soon to purchase my ar15 that is short stroke piston driven and im curious if different cleaning tools are needed compared to a D.I. ar15? any help is greatly appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Don't they say those things never get dirty?

Seriously, most of the cleaning tools for the standard AR should work. Of course you'll want something to clean the piston and cylinder area but not hard to find.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

ok i see what you mean. yes the do get dirty but not in the same areas as a D.I. ar. shortstroke gas piston ars get most of its dirtiness in the gas block. but thank you. btw, can you tell me if STAG is a decent ar maker?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just like an AK, a Gas piston AR will get dirty in the piston area, periodically take the piston out and simple cleaning solvents to get the carbon off will do. Actually its very easy to clean. You can use CLP, or Hoppe's Elite cleaner or electric parts cleaner...spray it on, wipe off the piston. Some people also spray some on a q tip and clean the inside of the piston's cylinder.

Many great proven designs have run off the piston design like the M14, AK just to name a few.

Do not assume anything.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #5

was thinking of getting clp. i was told before its decent for cleaning..thanks for the feedback

Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
ok i see what you mean. yes the do get dirty but not in the same areas as a D.I. ar. shortstroke gas piston ars get most of its dirtiness in the gas block. but thank you. btw, can you tell me if STAG is a decent ar maker?
The last part is a loaded question but I'll say Stag is middle of the road, you can do better for about the same money as mentioned in your other thread.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Like Q said, middle of the road, like mentioned in your other thread.

There are better cleaning solutions/lubes than CLP

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #8

ok,, i guess for my first ar it would be fine. reason i chose stag was:
-life time warranty
-all parts are made in stag arms facility (so no foreign made parts)
compared to other companies, i liked these features and for $1100 you get a gas piston system. not too bad

Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
ok,, i guess for my first ar it would be fine. reason i chose stag was:
-life time warranty
-all parts are made in stag arms facility (so no foreign made parts)
compared to other companies, i liked these features and for $1100 you get a gas piston system. not too bad
We should combine your 2 threads as they seem to be mirroring each other.

I have a LWRC much higher quality than the Stag and I still could have spent my money better by going BCM, Colt, LMT, or Daniel Defense.

Not too bad? Well, take a look at the responses you're getting. Take what has been said and use it to make a better decision. It's your deal do what you want but why create a thread if you're not willing to listen to opposing viewpoints? We have nothing to gain or loose.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Sounds like you've made up your mind! Go for it! Don't forget to post up lotsa pics!

Get a bore snake, some lube, nylon rod with a bore brush, baby toothbrushes (used ones are cool) for the chamber, q-tips, rags and some clp or other solvent. That's all you need.