Clamp on low-pro gas block? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Clamp on low-pro gas block?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

image-3973091757.jpg

My YHM GAS BLOCK SIGHT.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Ninja,

I would go with the Daniel Defense style low profile gas block I prefer the clamp type. Use some Blue Loctite on the Screws when installing. And torque the screws to around 20-25 inch lbs. Similar to torquing Scope Ring Screws. Also if I am correct on my thinking? The Rail should be over the top or very close when the rail is installed. This is great because it will protect the low profile gas block form contact with anything anyway.
When I use the set screw type I remove one screw at a time when it is installed and mark the barrel use a center punch down through the screw hole. Put that screw back in and then remove the second screw and mark the same procedure. I then take the unit off and take a drill an make a depression on the barrel the same size as the screw tip where the screws contact. If they have pointed set screws the indents are smaller just to secure the screw tip. Then reinstall it and use Blue Loctite on the screws. GAMATT that is a good unit I have one on one of my ARs and have installed many!
Just some ideas!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Ninja,

I would go with the Daniel Defense style low profile gas block I prefer the clamp type. Use some Blue Loctite on the Screws when installing. And torque the screws to around 20-25 inch lbs. Similar to torquing Scope Ring Screws. Also if I am correct on my thinking? The Rail should be over the top or very close when the rail is installed. This is great because it will protect the low profile gas block form contact with anything anyway.
When I use the set screw type I remove one screw at a time when it is installed and mark the barrel use a center punch down through the screw hole. Put that screw back in and then remove the second screw and mark the same procedure. I then take the unit off and take a drill an make a depression on the barrel the same size as the screw tip where the screws contact. If they have pointed set screws the indents are smaller just to secure the screw tip. Then reinstall it and use Blue Loctite on the screws. GAMATT that is a good unit I have one on one of my ARs and have installed many!
Just some ideas!

Thanks for the pointers man! Any tips on lining up the gas holes properly?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You Bet!

Before installing the Quad Rail and when you are installing the low profile gas block.
Get a regular Large paperclip straighten it out all the way. Then put a 1/4 inch L shaped bend on one end of it. Insert the bend through the hole in the low profile gas block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port hole on the barrel. Then tape the long end of the paper clip to your barrel until you are completely through doing the low profile gas block installation. This will guarantee that the gas port is not obstructed while you are working. Then remove the tape and the clip and WHALA! Gas port hole is functional.
Don't forget to removethe wire from the low profile gas block so you can insert the gas tube! LOL!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
You Bet!

Before installing the Quad Rail and when you are installing the low profile gas block.
Get a regular Large paperclip straighten it out all the way. Then put a 1/4 inch L shaped bend on one end of it. Insert the bend through the hole in the low profile gas block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port hole on the barrel. Then tape the long end of the paper clip to your barrel until you are completely through doing the low profile gas block installation. This will guarantee that the gas port is not obstructed while you are working. Then remove the tape and the clip and WHALA! Gas port hole is functional.
Don't forget to removethe wire from the low profile gas block so you can insert the gas tube! LOL!

Sounds like a good trick. I assume the holes need to be perfectly aligned to avoid partial obstruction right? How does the paper clip achieve this since it's a much smaller diameter than the gas holes?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ninja,

One of he large paper clips are fairly close to probably the possible .062 gas port hole you may have in the 16in Car Length Barrel. Also the Gas Port inlet (Hole) in the Low Profile Gas Block is much larger than the Gas Port Hole in the barrel. So a large paperclip will work fine. Do not use one of those little small thin paperclips. You might not get a true alignment. The large ones usually have some rings cut around the wire the entire length, if you know which ones I am speaking of.

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Ninja,

One of he large paper clips are fairly close to probably the possible .062 gas port hole you may have in the 16in Car Length Barrel. Also the Gas Port inlet (Hole) in the Low Profile Gas Block is much larger than the Gas Port Hole in the barrel. So a large paperclip will work fine. Do not use one of those little small thin paperclips. You might not get a true alignment. The large ones usually have some rings cut around the wire the entire length, if you know which ones I am speaking of.

Got it thanks man!

Now to get the damn A2 sight off. Those pins are not wanting to come out, and yeah I'm tapping/hitting them the right way, left to right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice rail! One of the best free float quad rails on the market!!! Any of the gas blocks you mentioned are quality pieces. Just pick the correct size for your barrel.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I used this one and it worked out well for me.

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&product s_id=43

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
Nice rail! One of the best free float quad rails on the market!!! Any of the gas blocks you mentioned are quality pieces. Just pick the correct size for your barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post

Thanks for your input X-mark and ktmboyz. I went with the Danial Defense. Now to get the A2 sight off...ugh!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ