Chromoly Barrels - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chromoly Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
well if mine goes boom you know im gonna post pics and the story

if it was someone like kimber or keltec making similar statements bcm is making i would need a king sized bag of salt to believe it.

a company cannot get away making milspec quality claims for long and get away without someone finding out. just takes one disgruntled employee to pop the bubble
You don't trust kimber? You put Kimber into the same category as Keltec...

Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #42

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
I have no issues with BCM, LaRue, Noveski, Stag...blah blah blah. I just don't buy 4150CMV from anyone other than Colt/FN without seeing the report. I think the problem here is many attribute not buying from someone as a sign the buyer thinks the seller is of poor quality. Thats your hang up... not mine.

I have said on many forums, I love BCM products.

I remember when Paul published that report. As I remember he also had a company chop up a Colt barrel for testing too.
No, Fixer, it was actually the way that you phrased it about them. Nothing more.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
You don't trust kimber? You put Kimber into the same category as Keltec...
Lol yeah i dont heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Lol yeah i dont heh.
Gotta second you on that. Heard too many reports and read too many posts of Kimber owners having to toss hundreds of rounds down the pipe to 'break it in' and get it to stop having issues.
I just don't want something that is going to cost me a small fortune in ammo just to get it running moderately well.
Funny thing is, I'll buy a Colt 1911 in a hearbeat. but I wouldn't touch one of their AR's. Not saying they're bad, just read about fitting issues with some, and I am more comfortable with what I have.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #45

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Gotta second you on that. Heard too many reports and read too many posts of Kimber owners having to toss hundreds of rounds down the pipe to 'break it in' and get it to stop having issues.
I just don't want something that is going to cost me a small fortune in ammo just to get it running moderately well.
Funny thing is, I'll buy a Colt 1911 in a hearbeat. but I wouldn't touch one of their AR's. Not saying they're bad, just read about fitting issues with some, and I am more comfortable with what I have.
I've heard the same thing about newer kimbers and it's too bad. I have an older kimber custom tactical and after thousands of rounds down the pipe i've yet to experience a single issue.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #46

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
No, Fixer, it was actually the way that you phrased it about them. Nothing more.
I guess...all I said was, "I want to trust BCM." and "BCM posted the report in the past before changing barrel shops."

Quote:
I wouldnt buy a Colt AR15 either. The anti-sear webbing is a deal breaker as is the stock.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #47

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Gotta second you on that. ... I'll buy a Colt 1911 in a hearbeat. but I wouldn't touch one of their AR's. Not saying they're bad, just read about fitting issues with some, and I am more comfortable with what I have.
And I've gotta second you on some of that. I love my Colt Series 70 and I'd love to have a Colt M4gery. But like you I'm happy with my BCM build, it's the closest thing to a midlength Colt. Haven't heard about any recent Colt fitment issues though.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #48

Quote:
I guess...all I said was, "I want to trust BCM." and "BCM posted the report in the past before changing barrel shops."

I wouldnt buy a Colt AR15 either. The anti-sear webbing is a deal breaker as is the stock.
Then I misread. I am no metallurgist, but I'll buy another BCM upper again with no worries about it. Reliable, durable and hits what you point it at, whether it's one round down the hill or 500.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #49

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
if i had to place a bet, i would bet that bcm gets their barrels from FN. there are not a lot if any hammer forge barrel makers in the US. especially for ar barrels in the quality bcm wants.

taken from:http://www.fnmfg.com/capabilities/Gun%20Barrels/

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. FN's M16 contract prevents them from selling a similar product commercially in the US. But it seems FN barrels and other parts turn up for resale here and there, like PSA and Spikes - so why not BCM.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #50

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I can't say anything bad about a Colt, I love their 1911s and the ARs and M4s have field tested from Vietnam to now. If I had the money, I would buy one.

As far as my barrel choice, I'll choose from what you guys recommended. Thank you for the advice.