Chromoly Barrels - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chromoly Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
Thanks for the safety warning, I didn't know that. I have looked into FN barrels on spikes site, but what bravo company barrels? Where can I get a S&W barrel?
Updated my post...cant as I see it. have to buy a complete upper.

BCM has in the past posted on line their mil-b11595e testing report. They have since changed barrel manufacture. I want to trust BCM...but I still fall back on the fact even properly manufacturer 4150CMV by Colt and FN has a slight chance to microfracture when heated past 1,000 degrees. It takes like ten magazine dumps to do it...but it happens. Its not a big issue with KNOWN GOOD manufactured 4150CMV. Its only been reported in the military a hand full of times...so that tells you the risk level...again thats with KNOWN GOOD manufacturing. Once you buy from Barrels-R-Us online that could happen after 3 magazine dumps.

I avoid that possibilty by going with a known good barrel...4140CM with melonite treatment. I went CMMG last build for a buddy. WASP is known good.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Who makes good quality CM or CMV melonite treated barrels?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have apologize for lack of experience with ARs, I should have better knowledge seeing I own 2 and owned 2 previously. I owned a bushmaster M4, no regrets about selling that one, but I do have regrets about selling S&W M&P 15X(just had my first and only child, needed the money more than I needed the gun). Currently I have a Sig M400(w/DD Omega rail, Magpul MIAD grip and CTR MOE stock, and Eotech) and a RRA entry tactical(w/DD omega rail and aim sport 4x scope), I like what I have now but I want to build now.

I'm not the best shot, but at 100 yards I am hitting softballs with iron sights. I want to start shooting pretty groups beyond 100, with what I build. My best shooting was with a 6.5x55 Swedish at 200 yards, 3 shots under a quarter with a 3-9x40 bushnell scope.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer

BCM has in the past posted on line their mil-b11595e testing report. They have since changed barrel manufacture. I want to trust BCM...but I still fall back on the fact even properly manufacturer 4150CMV by Colt and FN has a slight chance to microfracture when heated past 1,000 degrees. It takes like ten magazine dumps to do it...but it happens. Its not a big issue with KNOWN GOOD manufactured 4150CMV. Its only been reported in the military a hand full ofc times...so that tells you the risk level...again thats with KNOWN GOOD manufacturing. Once you buy from Barrels-R-Us online that could happen after 3 magazine dumps.

I avoid that possibilty by going with a known good barrel...4140CM with melonite treatment. I went CMMG last build for a buddy. WASP is known good.
You want to trust BCM? I just don't get it. With all the big name classes and high round count shooters running BCMs along w/ guys like me who shoot as much as finances will allow that have never had a single issue.

I frequent sites like M4C.net and BCM is the standard. Seems like everyone has at least 1, 2, or more.

What are you doing that all these other people are not?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn
Are they good quality barrels?
I purchased a a melonite barrel from them and was impressed.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #26

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post

BCM has in the past posted on line their mil-b11595e testing report. They have since changed barrel manufacture. I want to trust BCM...but I still fall back on the fact even properly manufacturer 4150CMV by Colt and FN has a slight chance to microfracture when heated past 1,000 degrees. It takes like ten magazine dumps to do it...but it happens. Its not a big issue with KNOWN GOOD manufactured 4150CMV. Its only been reported in the military a hand full of times...so that tells you the risk level...again thats with KNOWN GOOD manufacturing. Once you buy from Barrels-R-Us online that could happen after 3 magazine dumps.

Please restate the above more clearly. It seems what you're saying and what you're implying are two different things.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

S&W is the only one offering 4150CMV and Melonite treatment. CMMG offers 4140CM and melonite. Once again, nothing bad or wrong with either CMMG or S&W, I just don't go and buy 4150CMV from any source who has not published or offers a Mil-B-11595e report. Its Colt or FN ONLY for me. YMMV

BCM, Spikes and I think BlackHole have produced their testing report in the past. Good deal, show me that...and I will buy the barrel...don't have that report and I am not buying the barrel..sorry. Any tom-dick or harry barrel shop can cut a bar steel blank of 4150CMV into a barrel. Thats not the point. Its in how that 4150CMV was manufactured to begin with. What testing on the soup was done. What contaminates were in the mix. How pure was the mix... and so on. The addition of Vanadium into Chrom-Moly isnt like adding a little extra carbon. If its not done properly, when the steel is heated the vanadium separates away from the chom-moly (microfractures). When these microfractures form up..like links in a chain and breach the outside to the inside of the barrel you have a pipe bomb effect under the standard operation pressure of firing the rifle. Even if the barrel was MPI tested...doesnt matter because they do not super heat then cool the barrel before MPI testing and even if they did, it wouldnt matter. This is a cumulative effect of heat stressing of a barrel...its not a one time thing.

@ MikeJK. I have taken you off my ignore list. You can PM me and bitch me out for the PM I sent you. I dont care what M4C says...most of those guys are shooters..not metallurgist, machinist or technicians. Half of what I say goes over their collective heads. I have tried talking to many of them and they lack the proper skill set to understand the science. They just get mad at me and challenge me to a shooting contest as if the fact they can shoot better than me means their lack of scientific understanding or their wanting to believe in fairy-tales is correct.

Like I said, I want to trust BCM since they are a known good manufacture...as is CMMG or S&W... I just will NOT without seeing the current report. If they falsify a report and the barrel explodes, I would sue them into bankrupcy...any of them. If the report is genuine... then they have done their due diligence in making the barrel correctly. If it explodes, then there was no negligence on their part.

EDIT- Anyone can say...Mil-B-11595e steel. That doesnt mean it was tested to that standard. Its a play on words and a sales gimmick.

Last edited by Fixer; 05-20-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will add I use a 4140CM non-chrome lined HBAR barrel currently. If anyone cared...or if someone was attempting to call me out on the type of barrel I personally use. Full disclosure and all that jazz..

Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #29

Do I trust a doer or a sayer? Hmmmmm tough one.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Please restate the above more clearly. It seems what you're saying and what you're implying are two different things.
Ok, let me try this straight and simple.

Colt/FN provided 50,000 M4A1s. They complied with Mil-B-11595e. Of those 50,000 M4A1, 10,000 went to SF units. Of those 10,000 there were 5 reported cases of weapons malfunction where a barrel exploded. The general consciences was barrel melting even though the SF units expressed that on atleast one weapon the weapons was cold...under 3 magazines on fullauto.

Some testing was done. The wrong testing was done. They ignored and assumed barrel melting. It wasnt until metallurgist got involved that the vanadium separation was determined to be the cause. So they were looking at a 1/10,000 chance...big f-ing deal. (all 50,000 were not used or used to the extent SF units will)

.....BUT that was when you assume proper mil-b-11595e testing on the steel. I have wrenches in my tool box that say vanadium steel on the side...would I use this steel to make a barrel...HELL NO... So do all foundries who make CMV bar stock test as per mil-b-11595e... NO. Can they make and sell steel in 4150CMV...sure they can. Its just adding some stuff to the soup and pour it in.

FYI- Do you realize the federal government has a standard allowing x amount of poop and insects in your Oscar Mayer hotdogs...and Hebrew National makes sure their hotdogs contain a 1,000x less than that.

I only buy Hebrew National when I buy hotdogs... I only buy Colt or FN when I buy 4150CMV. I am not saying Oscar Mayer is bad... I am not saying Nathans hotdogs are bad...

YMMV.

Last edited by Fixer; 05-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.