Chromoly Barrels
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chromoly Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Chromoly Barrels

Looking for advice and wisdom. I'm building my first of two or more ARs. I have a Mega Arms Gator lower and a Vltor MUR upper on the way, but I am having problems choosing a barrel. I know the specs I want: 4150 chromoly vanadium, chromed bore and chamber, M4 feed ramp, 16" with mid length gas system, medium contour, and threaded for muzzle devices. I've narrowed my choices between DD, BCM, Armalite, spike, or criterion. Which is the best of these or is their another I've missed that's not going to break my wallet. My 2nd will be the same specs except 18" with rifle length gas or 20".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

rra uses wilson barrels even the chromed ones are pretty damn accurate. they are cut for wylde chambering.

http://www.wilsonarms.com/index.htm

manufactuer site. you need to go through someone like midway rra brownells or another distributer as ordering from wilson you need to be in lots of 100ea.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a RRA and I agree, it shots great. I don't think RRA has a medium contour with a mid length gas, I could be wrong.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

they arent the only source for those barrels. im not trying to sell ya rra. you just didnt lst em

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Does anybody know about criterion barrels,
http://criterionbarrels.com/ProductPages/AR15Listing.html

Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
they arent the only source for those barrels. im not trying to sell ya rra. you just didnt lst em
RRA makes good stuff and I might use them on this build.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

well

From your choices, its seems that you want a precision type rifle right?

That Vltor MUR upper aint cheap, and is heavier and stiffer (flexes less) than a standard forged upper. So If you are choosing a precision build, why not go with a stainless barrel?

One barrel you may have missed is a 20" rifle gas, ar15performance.com 1/8 5r rifled, melonited. I just helped my friend build one last week. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that they thread it with a 3/8 x 24 which is common for .308 muzzle devices, so you'll have to get a 308 or 6.8 muzzle device. We haven't had a chance to break it in yet but there's a lot of good reviews posted on the 'net. Oh and at $190 it won't break the bank. You can also buy a properly headspaced milspec bolt from them. I'd check it out.

Unfortunately my friend will not be able to shoot for a few weeks. So I won't be able to get you a range report anytime soon.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

DD makes a barrel that tapers, thick to thin, from nut to muzzle.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
well

From your choices, its seems that you want a precision type rifle right?

That Vltor MUR upper aint cheap, and is heavier and stiffer (flexes less) than a standard forged upper. So If you are choosing a precision build, why not go with a stainless barrel?

One barrel you may have missed is a 20" rifle gas, ar15performance.com 1/8 5r rifled, melonited. I just helped my friend build one last week. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that they thread it with a 3/8 x 24 which is common for .308 muzzle devices, so you'll have to get a 308 or 6.8 muzzle device. We haven't had a chance to break it in yet but there's a lot of good reviews posted on the 'net. Oh and at $190 it won't break the bank. You can also buy a properly headspaced milspec bolt from them. I'd check it out.

Unfortunately my friend will not be able to shoot for a few weeks. So I won't be able to get you a range report anytime soon.
I don't want stainless because chromoly lasts longer.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Then you wanted a treated barrel. Melonite makes the most sense for your requirements. It won't really matter what the rest of your barrel is made of whether CM CMV SS etc so long as the surface is hard. Chrome or melonite makes a hard surface. Melonite is better for precision oriented builds.

I'm assuming that you don't reload right? How much match grade (expensive) ammo are you planning on shooting? What kind of ranges are you planning on shooting? What kind of groups are you looking to get?