Chromed Bolt carrier group
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chromed Bolt carrier group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default Chromed Bolt carrier group

What do you all think about a chromed BCG? I've read they are easier to clean, which is a BIG plus to me. I read in a few places though that the plating can cause reliability issues? Specifically I'm looking at Rock River Arms upper and from the site they offer the choice of a chromed BCG for no extra charge. Assuming your buying a RRA upper would you choose chromed or not?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If the chrome plating is quality, and RRA's probably is, there is no real downside, but I personally would not opt for it. But that is just me.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

They are easier to clean, thats for sure, at least for me. If they are not charging you any extra on the bottom line, go for it, replacement down the road will be a bit more costly...but that's way, way down the road.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, I think I will go for it, I'm getting a stainless barrel(bead blasted I'm thinking, just to make it match better) and I already have a chromed 2 stage trigger from RRA, so if there are no real negatives it should fit well with the rest of the gun.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Rainier Arms, Young Mfg Chrome Bolt Carrier Group

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

PK firearms and ADCO have the upper I want 16" predator bead blasted SS for $630 but neither has the chromed BCG. Direct from RRA it's $665 + roughly 30 day wait. But I have to finish the rest of my lower so 30 day wait won't really matter.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #7

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

The problem with RRA BCGs is they nearly strike out when you look at milspec requirements like high pressure test, MPI testing, shot peened bolt, Carpenter steel 158, properly staked gas key, proper extractor insert/spring and M16 carrier.

The chrome plated Young BCG mentioned above is much tougher and I believe may meet all military requirements (not sure and haven't checked lately). Since the BCG is the heart of the rifle you want to get it right if nothing else is.

If you can live with parkerized instead then the Daniel Defense and BCM BCMs can be found for around $130. I recently got a DD BCG that meets all the specs in the first paragraph for $136 including shipping. It's now in my AR and my original BCG is a spare (which also is a good idea to have).

ETA: I just looked at Cane's and Slow's links and few specs are listed. I guess the auto version would have the M16 carrier. I've heard good things about Young.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-07-2010 at 02:35 AM.