Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chrome lined AR barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Of course those of us with engineering backgrounds know that there are many types of "steel". From high strength case hardened and tempered steel that would be used for gun parts to a soft steel alloy that would be used for ammunition casings. The likelyhood of the soft steel alloy in ammunition casings being able to cause significant wear on a hardened steel gun parts is not high.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
If I could reload for less than the cost of Tula or Wolf then Id be shooting brass reloads as well. I just don't reload at the moment. The same probably applies to the majority of new shooters.
Yeah I'm new and only have a 9mm pistol and an ar15. I know I'll be able to shoot more with reloading my own ammo but the initial investment is hard to justify with the small volume of my shooting. Hopefully when this habit grow on me I'll start getting into reloading.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #33

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I run steel cased Wolf, almost exclusively, through my M4. Many thousands of rounds. No problems.

It is soft steel, and is no harder on the bolt/extractor than brass in my experience. I've run over 1,000rds in a day through my M4 on a couple of occasions. Have not even needed to replace an extractor yet.

Even the U.S. used plenty of steel cased ammo in WW2.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
I agree. I don't expect steel case is harder on the bolt/extractor and chamber - and even if it is the difference is insignificant compared to the savings on ammo.

Now some ARs have rough extraction with SC which you can immediately tell by inspecting the spent cartridge. So no doubt the extractor also takes a beating but that's a rifle problem not the ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
I've seen steel cases ruin an AK, and that is all that was ran through it.
C'mon, you know there's more to this story! There are millions and millions of AKs out there that use SC exclusively. Even mine.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
I'm from vietnam ...
Hmmm, I hope you weren't born in 1968.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
Yeah I'm new and only have a 9mm pistol and an ar15. I know I'll be able to shoot more with reloading my own ammo but the initial investment is hard to justify with the small volume of my shooting. Hopefully when this habit grow on me I'll start getting into reloading.
I agree it is a huge expense at first. Thats one of the major reasons along w/ space requirements that has kept me from starting.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hmmm, I hope you weren't born in 1968.
No i'm not that old haha. I'm lucky enough to be born after the war era. So I took my AR with a chrome lined barrel to the range today and god this thing is super accurate at 25 yard ( couldn't go further if I wanted to). And guess what? cleaning the barrel didn't take me long as all. 2 pulls from the viper boresnake and it clean as new (I don't think I needed to do 2 pulls but I wanted to make sure all the carbon is removed)

Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Good deal Luan.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #38

Yep, sounds like a good day at the range, Luan!