Chrome lined AR barrel or not? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chrome lined AR barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Vietnam is a fun place to be without all the hot leads =p

I read mixed reviews about using steel case. it's almost $2 cheaper per 20 rounds for me here. Honestly if I have to replace my BCG earlier it might still be worth it. PSA has great BCG for good price. I wonder if shooting steel case void my PSA upper warranty.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6191 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post

I read mixed reviews about using steel case. it's almost $2 cheaper per 20 rounds for me here. Honestly if I have to replace my BCG earlier it might still be worth it. PSA has great BCG for good price. I wonder if shooting steel case void my PSA upper warranty.
Email em and ask i betyou get a fast reply

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #23

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I run steel cased Wolf, almost exclusively, through my M4. Many thousands of rounds. No problems.

It is soft steel, and is no harder on the bolt/extractor than brass in my experience. I've run over 1,000rds in a day through my M4 on a couple of occasions. Have not even needed to replace an extractor yet.

Even the U.S. used plenty of steel cased ammo in WW2.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've seen steel cases ruin an AK, and that is all that was ran through it.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
I don't think I've ever run anything BUT steel through my AKs. 25+ years of using AKs, hundreds of thousands of rds, and never a problem.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Its cheaper so you can afford to buy a new bolt and cleaning supplies in the money you save on ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post

Quote:
I've put Tula through a couple high end ARs for years and haven't had a single function or parts issue. People hear some guy complain about how his POS AR broke while running steel cased ammo and point the finger at the ammo instead of the out of spec bubba AR. Then it gets spread around the internet. Next thing you know... Steel case is fine. I work hard for the $ to purchase my firearms and wouldn't use steel cased ammo if it hurt anything.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I've put Tula through a couple high end ARs for years and haven't had a single function or parts issue. People hear some guy complain about how his POS AR broke while running steel cased ammo and point the finger at the ammo instead of the out of spec bubba AR. Then it gets spread around the internet. Next thing you know... Steel case is fine. I work hard for the $ to purchase my firearms and wouldn't use steel cased ammo if it hurt anything.
Exactly...

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #28

I like how the topic changed from barrel rifling to ammo type xD. To each their own. Me? I'll probably try to get brass case but I don't mind trying steel case sometime to see if my ar is what it supposed to be.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6191 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 448

My opinion doesnt come from the interweb. There was no interweb when i first started shooting ar15. From stuck cases failure to extract as in ripping the rim off to case seperation and down right craptastic accuracy and difficulty with extreme fouling. I developed my opinion from experience.

If its working great its liekly qaulity has improved since then. But i reload now didnt back then. So i have no reason to seek cheap ar ammo since i can produce better ammo cheaper than surplus

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm a little sensitive when people start bad mouthing things that in general work well. For a lot of guys the $ difference b/w a case of Wolf and brass ammo is the difference b/w multiple trips to the range or just one. They see people bad mouthing a certain ammo so they avoid it thus cutting the time behind their firearm because they could only afford a smaller amount of the more expensive ammo. When in truth the less expensive stuff would have been just fine.

If I could reload for less than the cost of Tula or Wolf then Id be shooting brass reloads as well. I just don't reload at the moment. The same probably applies to the majority of new shooters.