Chrome lined AR barrel or not? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chrome lined AR barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Uh oh, I'm only 5 miles from the beach and it's always humid as hell around here!
If you're in a humid area it might be worth getting a chrome lined barrel as it will be more corrosive resistant. Chrome lined does lose out on accuracy a bit but honestly unless you're making a living out of your accuracy I rather choose durability over accuracy. You want to enjoy your gun as long as you can right? But chrome moly is gonna do you just as good. All in all it comes down to what you want out of your rifle, what will you be doing with it? Are you going to shoot at target more than 100-200 yards with it? For me personally I would never have to hit targets out of 100 yards range so I don't worry much about getting all that accuracy. I was able to hit everything in my sight (targets from 20-50 yards) today with my chrome-lined barrel from PSA.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Uh oh, I'm only 5 miles from the beach and it's always humid as hell around here!
you will be just fine unless your in the habit of never maintaining your weapon. chrome lining in humid environments is only needed if your living in a foxhole getting rained on while waiting for the enemy to come thru the wire for weeks on end...

ive got a high standard HD 22lr my great uncle used to carry floundering on the texas gulf coast he would spend weekends out in the flats sometimes weeks. he used that gun for decades and its not chrome lined. the bore is bright and shiny. all he did was clean it when he got home.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-16-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree w/ lots of what has already been said.

I prefer chrome lined barrels for what I do. I would like to get ahold of a SS 1:8 16" upper though.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

We learned in the jungles of Vietnam that for harsh use and moist climates you'd better have chrome lining. And if you can't get around to cleaning right away. Myself, I want chrome lined and will pay the difference. And I bet you get it right back if you want to shoot cheap steel case ammo. Chambers can get rough and even pitted which causes extraction problems. I'm sure a rifle like Filthy 14 wouldn't do nearly so well with just chrome moly.

Of all the folks that complain about trouble with steel case I wonder how many have chrome lined chambers. In fact that would be an excellent poll to do.

As far as accuracy, basic ARs are good to 2-3 MOA which is plenty good enough for most uses.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
We learned in the jungles of Vietnam that for harsh use and moist climates you'd better have chrome lining. And if you can't get around to cleaning right away. Myself, I want chrome lined and will pay the difference. And I bet you get it right back if you want to shoot cheap steel case ammo. Chambers can get rough and even pitted which causes extraction problems. I'm sure a rifle like Filthy 14 wouldn't do nearly so well with just chrome moly.

Of all the folks that complain about trouble with steel case I wonder how many have chrome lined chambers. In fact that would be an excellent poll to do.

As far as accuracy, basic ARs are good to 2-3 MOA which is plenty good enough for most uses.
I'm from vietnam But hmm interesting about steel case. My friend was telling me his Ruger 556 didn't like steel case. I guess I know why. Gotta try some of these still case on my soon. If it feeds it good I might use it since it's much cheaper.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

You're right about chrome lining the chamber with steel case ammo, but steel case is more damaging to bolt face and extractor. That wears them out.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

to me it makes 0 sense to go with an accuracy barrel then shoot cheap pos steel case crud thru it. heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As far as accuracy goes, the material of the barrel doesn't matter too much until you're shooting beyond 300 meters. Chrome line and chrome moly is good stuff, I wouldn't worry to much between them. Most manufacturers chrome line or chrome moly the bore and phosphate kote the outside.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us

I'm from vietnam But hmm interesting about steel case. My friend was telling me his Ruger 556 didn't like steel case. I guess I know why. Gotta try some of these still case on my soon. If it feeds it good I might use it since it's much cheaper.
Its cheaper so you can afford to buy a new bolt and cleaning supplies in the money you save on ammo.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

luan, I spent 12 months in Vietnam back during 1972-73 and it was a beautiful country that would have been very enjoyable to visit had it not been for the angry ones that were always shooting at us.

This thread has all been very, very informative and the truth is, none of my other dozen or so rifles have chrome linings in them and none of them have any rust or corrsion inside or out on them. Two are over 100 years old and another is nearly 70, yet the bores all shine like mirrors. As has been said, proper maintenance is the key.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 07-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.