Chrome & Barrel Rifling?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chrome & Barrel Rifling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Chrome & Barrel Rifling?

I know about the ease of cleaning and durability of chrome lining of barrels. My question is, whether the manufacturer, over sizes the barrel bore before they button rifle it, to allow for chrome thickness?
Or, they just apply the chrome in the bore of a standard barrel, and chrome builds up on the grooves/landings and leaves less rifling, and that's why accuracy is supposably affected with a chrome lined barrel. I'm new to AR's but still learning.
Del

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 2501 Times on 1626 Posts

Tried Google? I would think they would have to oversized before chroming. The chrome is going to be be at least a couple thousands of an inch thick, multiply times two and the pressures would be too high from the tight bore.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I had heard from some gentleman who are much wiser than I that they slightly over size it to compensate for the chrome, thus why some say that they are less accurate than non cl. Is this true? Some will agree and others won't

Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #4

Liked 2501 Times on 1626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603
I had heard from some gentleman who are much wiser than I that they slightly over size it to compensate for the chrome, thus why some say that they are less accurate than non cl. Is this true? Some will agree and others won't
The people on the AR threads mostly agree the chrome bores are not as accurate.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ah yes, but does the benefit of the chrome out weigh the negative impact on accuracy??

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Ah yes, but does the benefit of the chrome out weigh the negative impact on accuracy??
It matters what you're using it for, chrome lined is strong and hold up to more use and prolonged use

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

There are schools of thought on this topic. Not all chrome lining is equal. Some is really thin others thicker. The main proboem is that chroming process doesnt leave an even coating on the bore. There are high and low spots but this is due more to the actual care taken to rifle the bore itself than any real flaw in the lining process.

Take the same bore chrome vs un chrome made on the same day etc. They will shoot the same. The highs and lows left by the chroming process are so small that it wont affect anything. An innacurate barrel is an inaccurate barrel.

How the barrel is cut, who is cutting it, the technique used, barrel material all that is the real key to accuracy.

My bcm middy is hammerforged, chrome lined chamber and bore (some barrels only chrome the chamber) and is a sub moa gun out to 300yds.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My bcm middy is hammerforged, chrome lined chamber and bore (some barrels only chrome the chamber) and is a sub moa gun out to 300yds.
With what ammo might I ask?

I know you are a damn good shot but I'm not getting close to sub MOA at 100 yards with my BCM hammerforged middy. I've only used Federal 62gr M855 and Remington 55gr 223. Got about 400 rounds through it and it's about 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards. I was using a 4-9x40 Bushnell Banner scope, bipod, and rear sandbag.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho

I know you are a damn good shot but I'm not getting close to sub MOA at 100 yards with my BCM hammerforged middy. I've only used Federal 62gr M855 and Remington 55gr 223. Got about 400 rounds through it and it's about 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards. I was using a 4-9x40 Bushnell Banner scope, bipod, and rear sandbag.
You problem is your ammo... Try some match stuff and see what you get.. Also if you have a 1/7 twist barrel you can stroll into the 70+ gr bullets which should be much more accurate..

Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post

69 and 77 grain smk over w748 powder max load from the sierra manual. and ss109 over w748 i use data from hornady 62grain hp loads

i dont get that with the acog but i do when i put my nightforce nxs f1 for accuracy testing

you need to handload to get the best out of accuracy. blackhills match ammo is the only thing out there that even resembles what is possible with careful handloads

55grain fmj sometimes hits 1-1.5 at 100 but 2inches is the norm and thats within the 3moa military standard for an issue rifle with that bullet

if your testing by holding the gun yourself you need a really good front rest and a good sand bag for the rear. caldwell basic rests are great for that run about 20$ for their elcheapo front rest which is a great one.

the stock bcm trigger is not a good accuracy one and that holds things back a lot. i dropped in my rra two stage for testing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.