Chopping the FSB vs buying a low pro gas block
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Chopping the FSB vs buying a low pro gas block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chopping the FSB vs buying a low pro gas block

I wanna put a flip up front sight on my BCM AR-15 which currently has a front sight base. I was told by a friend that it's better to chop off the top of the fsb as oppose to buying a low profile gas block.

I was originally going to buy a YHM flip up front sight base, but was also advised against it by my go-to AR buddy.

Any thoughts on this? or what I should do?

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Indyfan

Have you got a pic of your rifle. I am assuming you have the standard front sight assembly on it? And am also assuming that you want a standard style front sight gas block flip up front sight Post? Just so I understand you correctly look at the Rock River Website and check out the RRA Flip Front Sight Gas Block Assembly or the A.R.M.S 41B/L Silhouette Folding Front Sight. Nothing wrong with Yankee Hill or others either. If you cut off the front A-2 Front Sight (A Frame) on yours you will need to make it look decent which requires a little work nothing overwhelming! So then, are you going to get a Free Float Quad Rail and mount the new sight on it? Just want to be sure we know where you are going with your project before we give any direct advise.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I wanna put a flip up front sight on my BCM AR-15 which currently has a front sight base. I was told by a friend that it's better to chop off the top of the fsb as oppose to buying a low profile gas block.

I was originally going to buy a YHM flip up front sight base, but was also advised against it by my go-to AR buddy.

Any thoughts on this? or what I should do?

thanks
Removing BCM FSB Taper Pins
From speaking with customers, it seems BCM FSB taper pins are harder to remove than some others. When we do it here, we can knock the pins free in under 60 seconds.
Here are some basic pointers on the way we remove them.

1) It takes Two. You will need a buddy to hold the upper group stable as you pound out the pins. You will not be able to get a good concentrated force on the pins if the upper is wobbling around (even a little bit).

2) Action Jackson. You will need a couple of action blocks (see Brownells for a good selection). These will be great platforms to stabilize the barrel. Also get the Brownells FSB block. You may have to mod the shape of the FSB block if using a free float.

3) Installed from starboard side. Milspec FSB are drill and the reamed for taper pins. The reamer runs from the right to the left (pointing the muzzle at the bad guy). So BCM pins need to be removed from left to right. Cannot be done the opposite way.

4) Secure that carbine. Using action blocks and the buddy system secure the upper group so the left side is facing up.

5) Get a fat one. We do not use those small radius head punches to break the pins free. We use a much fatter punch (5/16”). It’s a meaty sucker. Lots to hang on to, and enables you to put some force on the hammer. Using a 5/16” punch and a 12oz hammer, give her a smack. Anywhere between 1 and 6 smacks, and the pin moves. All you want to do is to get it to move to about flush.

6) Grab a skinny one. Now get the tiny little 1/8” punch to push the pins out of the FSB. They are already broken free, this just drives the fully out. Tap, tap, tap.

7) Celebrate. You are done.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.