Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   choosing the right scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/choosing-right-scope-47538/)

hockeyjr1 08-30-2011 01:41 PM

choosing the right scope

im new to to AR world and need some help. i just got at the end of april a
RRA AR-15 and now wanna put a scope onto it before my next trip upstate. Ive been looking to stay under the $700 price range so basically every acog is out of my picture. i really am liking the burris XTR 14 with the 5.56 retical since the 62g bullets is what i normally stock at my house, but its far up there on the price range and i cant find a whole lot about it. i started to look at leopold but can find a retical i like for some reason. this morning i came across a nikon with a 5.56 55g retical that is about 350 bucks. im not shooting comp just stuff upstate and the range every month or so usually out to only 200yds. 300 max.
the nikon model is M-223 2-8x32 with BDC 600. im leaning more towards to nikon just cuz of price but wanted to ask around first. thanks ahead for the help guys.

Rockyrules 08-31-2011 02:06 AM

I own a couple of Nikon scopes....I love them both one is a monarch 6x24x50 on a remington sendaro 300 win Mag. The other is a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x50 it is on a Remington r-25 .308....The waranty is great but I really love the clarity. The quality is outstanding. I have the Acog and it is also very clear it has a green horseshoe reticle it is on a patriot arms .223....If you ever need a really good red dot the RMR scopes from Trijicon are great but they run from 4-6 hundred...no batteries...tough...i use for back up and close range for the acog...Good luck...nikons are great, you might want to check out Burus they are cheaper and the quality is also good..They have several Tactical (lighted retical) scopes in varing optical powers for 350 and less....I got a 6x24x50 lighted BDC reticle for just under 350.00 and I am pleased with it....Good Luck

hockeyjr1 08-31-2011 06:21 AM

Thanks for the input but do u think a 40 or 50mm scope is too big for a ar15? Seems more like a ar10 scope to me.

Quentin 08-31-2011 01:24 PM

I think 40mm is just about right, you can get a fairly low mount that still allows you to see over the front sight base but is not so low to be uncomfortable to get down on. 50 should be ok too. I use a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff that works out well on my 5.56.

Rockyrules 08-31-2011 05:31 PM

The one that fits your eye is the one that you should pick....Yes 50 mm is overkill in size but I only got it to get low light capibility with it....larger the size the more light collection....I think for your price range the Nikon is a good choice ....you should check out the Burus scopes...they are quite good for the money...Good luck

hockeyjr1 08-31-2011 08:42 PM

yeah i have been looking at the other burris scopes and do like them but they dont give to much differance of 556 rds with the retical. i usually only have the 62g bullets and dont wanna switch to the 55g since 1 they do more damage to zombies lol and 2 palmetto has them for only a penny more per rd over the xm193.

i just found that nikon has a program on the comp that you can also use on your iphone that will calibrate all the BDC circles in the 600 retical depending on which company and grain bullet you shoot. it gives down to the top middle and bottem distances on each circle too. i guess its the little things that make me look more towards the nikon 233 scopes.

oh and to anyone that buys ammo from cheaper than dirt i hope u really like throwing away money. i see people talking about them everywhere and i used to order ammo from them all the time untill i found palmetto state. thake this for example.

CTD has lake city xm855 1k rds for 479.99 with another 80 bucks to ship it.
Palmetto has the same rds for 349.99 for 1k and only 12 bucks shipping!!!

its gotten to the point that i save more money on shotgun rds at dicks sporting goods with paying tax then it is to pay shipping at ctd. just crazy

Rockyrules 09-01-2011 12:35 AM

About two years ago I got hurt and took up reloading and If I say so myself , with advice and wisdom of others, I load specific rounds for each of my guns and I love it...super bullets and consistant rounds...you should try it...there are alot of guys on this forum that really know their stuff when it comes to reloading...it is like having a library at your fingertips....it is alot of fun...try it

hockeyjr1 09-02-2011 05:18 AM

Yeah I'm actually Savin all my cases now for down the road to start reloading with my brother in law. He has ar15 and now an ar10 so he really wants to split the cost of the equipment and start packin rds. Maybe sometime next year I'll start looking at some presses.

hockeyjr1 09-08-2011 11:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just got the scope all mounted up... Looks sweet and the balance is still in the rifle... Def not a stroll around the park gun without a sling... I'm gunna shoot it tomorrow to see how the reticule is.. Unfortunately I gotta shoot at 30 yards and wait till sunday to get out east to the 200yrd ranges.... Thanks again for the help guys!!