Choosing a buffer..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Choosing a buffer..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I finally joined this forum today after a few months of perusing around and I came up with a question I was hoping to get answered.
I'm slowly building my AR and I'm down to the last few pieces.
I went with a semi auto BCG because it was in stock at a decent price.
I'm now looking for a buffer.
So (finally) here's my question..
Which buffer would be ideal for a semi auto BCG? I know it's only a tinyyy bit lighter and I'm sure most any buffer would be fine, but is there an ideal weight I should look for?
Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

carbine buffer will be just fine if your using a collapsible stock , rifle buffer if your using a fixed stock

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've always gone with a standard milspec buffer. Were I building a $2500 gun for one specific purpose, I might get creative with something like the buffer...but that's never been the case. Milspec just works.

Your money will usually go the furthest if you buy such parts in kits. For all my builds I buy Magpul/PSA LBKs (all lower parts, including stock kit). PSA build kits are like $100, and $150-200 for those with Magpul furnishings.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #4

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

As said, rifle buffer/spring in a rifle receiver extension. For 16" with a carbine receiver extension and SA carrier I'd aim for an H buffer if you have midlength gas and H2 if you have carbine length gas. But there are a lot of variables including the range of ammo you shoot, so experience (with your individual rifle) is the best teacher.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll go with the H buffer and go from there. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Question...

I have a 16" mid length system, carbine buffer tube and a semi auto BCG as well....but I ordered just a standard carbine weight buffer.
Should I return it for an H buffer or shoot mine first and see if I have any problems?
May it cycle too fast?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead View Post
Question...

I have a 16" mid length system, carbine buffer tube and a semi auto BCG as well....but I ordered just a standard carbine weight buffer.
Should I return it for an H buffer or shoot mine first and see if I have any problems?
May it cycle too fast?
Yes , it will be so lightening fast it will probably shoot all 30 rds at one time .

Now for real, stop over thinking it , shoot what you have . Just because my mid length will run a H2 buffer doesnt mean yours or the next guys rifle will , each barrel is different even from the same manufacturer . I have proven this right down to the 1/4 oz in buffer weight " same barrel manufacturer same gas length system , same everything ,one will run a H2 buffer the other choked all over its self with the same H2 buffer and same spring , it short stroked and would not cycle properly . Experiment later . We went thru this on the BCG with you and you set out and bought something that was never suggested anyway . You ask alot of questions and that is good , but when you get suggestions from reputable members here LISTEN TO THEM !!!!
We wont suggest something if we think its not a good piece to put in or on your rifle . Just because a item may cost $300 from one manufacturer doesnt mean its better than a $169 item from another manufacturer . People around here will guide you straight you just need to keep the straight line and not veer another direction

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I didn't veer in a different direction or 'go out and buy something none of you recommended'.
I had ALREADY bought that Les Baer BCG and was checking with people on here to see if it was good. Eventually I got it in the mail, returned it and went with something better.
I thought forums were a friendly place to do research and get help?
I ask a lot of questions because I'm learning from scratch. I don't have family or friends who know anything about firearms so I rely on google, YouTube and these forums.
I'm sure I could teach you PLENTY about many other things besides guns, but I'd sure be a gentleman about it.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
I didn't veer in a different direction or 'go out and buy something none of you recommended'.
I had ALREADY bought that Les Baer BCG and was checking with people on here to see if it was good. Eventually I got it in the mail, returned it and went with something better.
I thought forums were a friendly place to do research and get help?
I ask a lot of questions because I'm learning from scratch. I don't have family or friends who know anything about firearms so I rely on google, YouTube and these forums.
I'm sure I could teach you PLENTY about many other things besides guns, but I'd sure be a gentleman about it.
This IS a friendly forum and purehavoc and others are trying to help you. I don't know you but get the impression you're very young and adverse to going out and doing research on your own. In fact sometimes you come across as a troll, though maybe you don't intend that. When you get a response you don't like, look at yourself as well.

Have you read and fully digested the stickys here, especially the AR-15 Primer? You'll find a wealth of advice and answers there. And you say you google, well once you gain a certain level of competence you'll be able to sort through the BS and the truth. Both are everywhere, even here. We all struggle to sort it all out and real understanding, not skimming Cliffs Notes, is the smart route.

One piece of advice, research products, their applications vs. your applications and know yourself before impulsively pulling out the wallet. Making poor decisions then asking a forum after the purchase what we think about it is bound to ruffle feathers, mostly yours.

Finally, there are lots of gentlemen (and true ladies) here so don't imply to the otherwise. We may not always coddle but we do try to help. I know my opinions have made friends and family mad but they still tend to seek out my advice when buying electronics, autos and guns because I try to stay informed.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I didn't veer in a different direction or 'go out and buy something none of you recommended'.U sure about that ? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/where-world-carmen-san-diego-bcg-93062/
I thought forums were a friendly place to do research and get help? Yes they are
I ask a lot of questions because I'm learning from scratch. I don't have family or friends who know anything about firearms so I rely on google, YouTube and these forums. Yes you do and as stated above that is a good thing
I'm sure I could teach you PLENTY about many other things besides guns, but I'd sure be a gentleman about it.Im sure you could and Im sure you would
I didnt mean to piss you off and Im not trying to , I help around here as much as any person . You must learn this is a forum , it is a good place to learn but when one continues with repetitive questions about the same thing people begin to either ignore them or piss them off and make them go away . I dont want anyone to go away from here , its a great community with lots and lots of great people full or lots of information . I have built many many AR's I have shot many many rounds thru them along side many others on this forum . We know what works , we have learned something new on here . We all know when you find a deal on a particular part, dont wait if you have the cash , it may not be there tomorrow . Ammo is ammo is ammo ,it all goes down range some dirtier , some more accurate than others , but that accuracy is all based off the guy pulling the trigger , we all know if your not building a precision target AR 1" MOA is about the standard with most any ammo .

Im trying to help you so dont take all this the wrong way . You really should take the time to read Agent Tikki's AR primer page you will learn alot off of it and when you get done go back and read it again because there will be stuff you missed the first time around
. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

I dont claim to know everything about guns and every once in a while I do learn something new on here . When I first joined here I had a ton of questions also , but I think I read every page in here taking it all in before I asked . There are lots of other forums out there but this one is for sure my favorite . Good people around here and not alot of fan boys and girls .
Build your gun , go shoot the sh!t outta it and come give us a review, if it doesnt run or you have a question about how something works or isnt working , we will get you up and running or fill you full of knowledge and not a bunch of BS .

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.