Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Choices

Recently had the money build a descent AR, but I saw a Sig that I just had to get. This is my question and I am looking for sound advice.

I want to build a 556 SBR suppressed and 6.8 SPC with a 20" barrel. First question, which should I build first?

Next question, which receiver set should I get? My original plan was a billet from mega or spike, but I have 6 month daughter and gotta a bit smaller budget now. I'm thinking a good forged 7075 set.

I also want to know what barrel manufacturers are good quality and not price rapist

I have a rockriver entry tactical CAR A4 and S&W M&P 15X, my S&W is going to get a 20" fluted heavy and RRA has a Daniel defense rail and both are good as is.

This pistol is why I scrapped my previous build plans. I need good advice cause rifles are new to me.

image-3230541529.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

I would recommend building the 556 first. Not only will it be cheaper to build with the same quality of components, but also less expensive to shoot.

The 6.8 build can be a little tricky. Here is an example. I wanted a Noveske 6.8SPC barrel with an adj gas block. This is only possible by buying the barrel with the gas block. Then I would have to replace it with a 1 inch adj gas block. Big deal? No, just something to think about. 556 barrel options are far greater.

Too bad I don't have any money...

Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
Recently had the money build a descent AR, but I saw a Sig that I just had to get. This is my question and I am looking for sound advice.

I want to build a 556 SBR suppressed and 6.8 SPC with a 20" barrel. First question, which should I build first?

Next question, which receiver set should I get? My original plan was a billet from mega or spike, but I have 6 month daughter and gotta a bit smaller budget now. I'm thinking a good forged 7075 set.

I also want to know what barrel manufacturers are good quality and not price rapist

I have a rockriver entry tactical CAR A4 and S&W M&P 15X, my S&W is going to get a 20" fluted heavy and RRA has a Daniel defense rail and both are good as is.

This pistol is why I scrapped my previous build plans. I need good advice cause rifles are new to me.
Shop around. I bought a STAG lower just to get it registered as an SBR. An ACE stock and a lower parts set followed shortly afterward. I then found a Bushmaster 10.5" SBR upper at a local guns store that the guy let me have for $399 because it was not moving (not a lot of folks want to go through the hassle of registering with the ATF, I don't think it's a big deal. So my total cost for the basic SBR was just under $700 (+$200 for the tax stamp).

My brother sent me a Surefire Quad Rail forend a GG&G riser and BUIS and an EoTech 552 out of his spares inventory and here she is...

The guns is 100% reliable and a very accurate shooter. I've run it ragged for a couple of years through 100's of rounds a range day in practice and comps and it has not let me down. Easy to carry, easy to point and any silhouette target out to about 150 yards is a slam dunk COM hit.

It's a fun toy with the 7.5" upper but I just can't take it seriusly except for giggles at the range.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Id go 5.56 first and when you do the 6.8 think about a shorter barrel. From my research a 20" barrel is a waste as the 6.8 works best out of a 16ish" barrel.

White Oaks Armament makes great barrels as does Daniel Defense and BCM. Also check out Palmetto State Armory. They have good prices and thier reviews are excellent.

I prefer forged receivers.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Shop around. I bought a STAG lower just to get it registered as an SBR. An ACE stock and a lower parts set followed shortly afterward. I then found a Bushmaster 10.5" SBR upper at a local guns store that the guy let me have for $399 because it was not moving (not a lot of folks want to go through the hassle of registering with the ATF, I don't think it's a big deal. So my total cost for the basic SBR was just under $700 (+$200 for the tax stamp).

My brother sent me a Surefire Quad Rail forend a GG&G riser and BUIS and an EoTech 552 out of his spares inventory and here she is...

The guns is 100% reliable and a very accurate shooter. I've run it ragged for a couple of years through 100's of rounds a range day in practice and comps and it has not let me down. Easy to carry, easy to point and any silhouette target out to about 150 yards is a slam dunk COM hit.

It's a fun toy with the 7.5" upper but I just can't take it seriusly except for giggles at the range.
What about the trust paperwork, how do I go about doing that. Somebody told me to do it myself for free but they didn't where to get it or how to do it. I don't mind the ATF stuff, I'm clean and plan on staying that way. This will be my first class 3 anything.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quicken makes a trust program for doing it yourself.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
Quicken makes a trust program for doing it yourself.
Thank you, is it hard or self explanatory easy.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
Id go 5.56 first and when you do the 6.8 think about a shorter barrel. From my research a 20" barrel is a waste as the 6.8 works best out of a 16ish" barrel.

White Oaks Armament makes great barrels as does Daniel Defense and BCM. Also check out Palmetto State Armory. They have good prices and thier reviews are excellent.

I prefer forged receivers.
You're right my friend, the 6.8 about 90% of it powder in 16" and picks up about 75-100 fps in a 18". The 20" picks up just a bit more maybe 25-50, but I was looking it more trajectory and accuracy. I might just do an 18" heavy with flutes to save weight, but after the SBR

Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Nice guns, and I think I'll go with that. I'm think a mega or spike forged receiver set.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Check these guys out. I got my Mega billet lower from them.

Rainier Arms, LLC™ Mega Billet Upper / Lower / CH - Combo

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello