Cheek Weld - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Cheek Weld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

How much magnification are you wanting? Variable or fixed?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Flatman,

I prefer the Peltor Tactical 6 Ear Muffs. They are electronic so you can hear normal range commands but shut down at the specific decibel level. And they also and have contoured Side Designed Ear Muffs for rifle shooting. I have two pairs and have used them for years on rifles including M-14, M-16, AR-15, bolt guns and all. You might want to take a look at them.
Another issue is that people think ear protection that goes in your ears are totally safe when they are not. The Bones on your head around your ears pick up vibration and sound just the same. The reason I can prove that is when on SWAT 16+ years we used bone mikes that were in contact with the bone on your head in front of your ears. We could actually whisper to each other and could hear through the bone just as well as through the ear canal. Just some insight when selecting protection. Also in the hot weather when we sweat the seals on the muffs and our head also have a tendency to break seal more easily at this time of year. You can also always double up with a set of plugs and muffs which I do at the academy since the overhead and walls are concrete and block!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Flatman,

I prefer the Peltor Tactical 6 Ear Muffs. They are electronic so you can hear normal range commands but shut down at the specific decibel level. And they also and have contoured Side Designed Ear Muffs for rifle shooting. I have two pairs and have used them for years on rifles including M-14, M-16, AR-15, bolt guns and all. You might want to take a look at them.
Another issue is that people think ear protection that goes in your ears are totally safe when they are not. The Bones on your head around your ears pick up vibration and sound just the same. The reason I can prove that is when on SWAT 16+ years we used bone mikes that were in contact with the bone on your head in front of your ears. We could actually whisper to each other and could hear through the bone just as well as through the ear canal. Just some insight when selecting protection. Also in the hot weather when we sweat the seals on the muffs and our head also have a tendency to break seal more easily at this time of year. You can also always double up with a set of plugs and muffs which I do at the academy since the overhead and walls are concrete and block!

Very good poiint. I usually wear my electronic muffs, with another set of low DB rated plugs. Even with the dampening from the muffs, my ears are still ringing after a day of shooting.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #14

A 2nd for Peltor. I've been using my pair for quite some time.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

+3 for Peltor,, had mine for a few years and love em.. It nice to be able to hear range commands and shoot without muff going on and off constantly. And as Sniper said they are very low profile.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #16

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Sound like I'm going to be getting some peltors. Any particular model or recommended places to get them? Thanks to all who have replied, you've been a big help.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatman6
Sound like I'm going to be getting some peltors. Any particular model or recommended places to get them? Thanks to all who have replied, you've been a big help.
Tactical Sport