The Chart? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Chart?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
3 Bears I set upon Your House.
I have taken steps, kitteh steps.

That is a fat orange cat at the bottom of the tree, leering up at the silly ursine oaf.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow...My rifle does not have one part on the list...I'd feel bad if I didn't have so much fun with it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Funny that when all is said a done, no one mentioned resell value.
There are only one or two on the list that hold the top resale numbers.
When one reads the post in these site's what name brands are they asking for help with?
Buy once, cry once.
Get a Colt.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You want to buy once, cry once ( for awhile ) and have a ton of resale value you will pony up and get a Dave Lauck Production Model.

You want to mortage your first born, call him and have him build one to your specs.

Then we can talk about who has the best stick on the range. It will be a REAL short vote... LOL

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I will take a group size match with my RRA against any tier 1 rifle from that list.

As for resale value. I don't care what it is as I never get rid of a gun. If I can't afford a new gun without selling another then Tango ain't gettin a new gun.

I didn't even look at that chart before I purchased my AR. I must be super lucky because my AR will split hairs on a gnats butt at 100 yards.

Do I care that my bolt is not shotpeened or mpi tested not really. The most shooting that thing is going to see is sitting on a bench when I take my mancation to South Dakota in a few years Prairie Doggin.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #16

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Well I'm sure not saying dump what you already have, but anyone looking to build or buy could do worse than spend an hour figuring out what the chart really says. You can buy off the low end of the chart to save money and likely will do fine but some of us may want to aim higher. Not a big deal as it's your choice and we're all on the same team. Also maintenance and training matter more than which brand we have.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I did not mean to say that Colt was the best, I'm saying that if you buy one of the top shelf makers, you or who ever get's your **** when you die, will get more money out of them.
There are some junky built AR's around.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #18

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

See this is exactly what I mean when people discuss this chart, it's a shame really. Did I come across the chart when I ventured into building my first AR? Sure. But after looking at all the info and then looking at the subsequent cost I couldn't justify a $1400-$1600 Colt versus a similar set up from Stag at under $1k.

A lot of folks that want to get into the AR platform don't want to or can't afford to lay out $1500 and then some. And if you think about the recreational shooter/hunter why would they, especially when they can get into an AK platform for $500-$600? Look at some of the folks that choose a caliber based on costs? A rifle is the same thing, what can one afford versus what they want to do?

Sure the chart has useful info but that doesn't not make it the end all be all of AR building. Unless you are in combat on a daily basis I see no need to use/abuse one's AR to the point of Military standards.

The rifle doesn't make the shooter, practice does

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #19

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

A BCM is about as good as it gets on the chart and can be built for under $1000, just like a Stag or Bushmaster. Even Colts can be found not much over $1000.

I'm looking at about $520 for a BCM midlength upper to drop on my S&W M&P-15 lower that cost about $250 to complete. Then add a genuine Cerro Forge carry handle I got for about $35 off ebay (that I cut down to expose the rail). Then a sling and magazines... All in all it's a great time to be buying or building an AR!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I am also thinking along the lines of I wont sell mine so resale isn't an issue. And if whoever gets it after I am gone if the sell it then they need smacked in the head for selling a rifle I thought enough of them to give it to them in the first place.

I have a pretty cheap old shotgun that probably isn't worth what was paid for it in the 30's when it was new. But it was my Dads so I keep it clean and look at it from time to time. It's pretty neat for an old junky shotgun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson