Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > changing an upper to left handed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default changing an upper to left handed?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience changing a right handed upper, to a left handed. I for some reason can get a hold of my local shop, so I can't ask. But how much would it be on average?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

You would needto buy a lefthanded bolt carrier group and buy a left handed upper reciever to put your current barrel on.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

It sounds like you plan to pay someone else to do it so I'd say just buy a Stag complete left-handed upper. Otherwise you'd be trying to sell a stripped righty upper and BCG and might, just might, get back the labor cost.

Another thing, this isn't something the average armorer does all the time so my vote would go to Stag who knows a thing or two about it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
It sounds like you plan to pay someone else to do it so I'd say just buy a Stag complete left-handed upper. Otherwise you'd be trying to sell a stripped righty upper and BCG and might, just might, get back the labor cost.

Another thing, this isn't something the average armorer does all the time so my vote would go to Stag who knows a thing or two about it.

+1

Stags had time to work out all the kinks for all you southpaws. And their CS is excellent, I'd seriously give them a good look. If you don't want complete rifle they do sell just the uppers, and they offer that milspec upgrade.(with a lifetime warranty!)

Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

I am with Quentin on this one. Go to a gun show and sell the one you have and buy a Stag Arms Left handed upper.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I thought it was going to be a simple task. But the sad reality is the gun community is biased against us lecture. Haha.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #7

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Not biased at all! Just sell more, so cater to standard guns.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #8

Haha! Um, "lectures" was supposed to be lefties. Don't you just love autocorrect? Stupid smart phones.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #9

as a lefty i say don't do it. i see no value in a lefty upper. i've never been hit in the face or arm with any brass. though i did when i was in the military many moons ago when they didn't have brass deflectors on the old m16's....yowch!

be nice to the man with the gun, you'd be crazy not to.

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!