changing and upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > changing and upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default changing and upper

I have ordered a new stripped upper to convert my a-1 to a flat top and upgrade to a Yankee hill free float diamond cut tube.
My question is do I need to order one of the blocks to put in a vise to crack the barrel nuts loose and tighten them or can I just do it with a vise ?? Not sure how tight they are and how bad its gonna come apart.. I would rather buy the tools and do it myself than pay someone else.. so if I need to I will but just wondering if its needed ?? thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Absolutely needed? No. Unless you got the one that MONGO did on his last day on the job. There are ones out there that have been put on by a gorilla, cross threaded and won't come off unless you cut them into pieces, but they are rare in our shop. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is not an "everyday" happening followed by "Jesus, again?!"

Does it make the job easier? Yes, it will, but it is not on the "necessary" list for the "average" person doing this operation.

A wet, high thread count piece of material, doubled over a few times, will provide AMPLE application of force when torqued in a normal bench vise for you to work against WITHOUT damaging your components.

Good luck and take some pictures of your set up for the rest of the members if you can please. It's always helpful.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

ktm if you want i have one I can lend you.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks JD and Dog ... I will give it a shot like JD said, that sounds like it should be sufficient unless some other jack a** has bunged up the threads.. If not I might have to take you up on that Dog,, I really appreciate it and very kind of you to offer.