Changing my Ar hand guard
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Changing my Ar hand guard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Changing my Ar hand guard

I have a Windham weaponry scr ar15 it has the standard hand guard and I am wanting to change it to a magpul one. My question is which one do I get and how hard is it to install? I have no experience working on uppers. What kind of tools do I need I would prefer not to have a gunsmith do it the only one around told me he will charge me $75 to change it and I would like to learn how to do it myself. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397248658.606690.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

First off if the new one isn't a free float that gun smith/shop is a total rip off. The handguard removal tool makes it easier but isn't necessary. Push the delta ring down and pull the handguard off if the new ones don't have the metal shield remove it from your old ones and put it in the new ones. If the new one is free float then you have to get a little serious.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is the one I have considered a mid length or carbine length? And it's not free a free float. The pic is the one I want. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397250113.849670.jpg

Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

U tube is a great resource.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

As HMH stated its very simple to do yourself without any tools, First make sure its unloaded and chamber is clear " safety first "
put the buttstock on the table so its up high enough you can get good downward leverage , grab the delta ring with your right hand and pull down , grab bottom part of hand guard with left hand and pull out while pulling down on delta ring , release and then do the same thing with the top .
Do the same thing to install only in reverse , you will need to put the top on on first if doing a Magpul MOE

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Yours in a carbine length so thats what your stuck with unless you go with a free float rail

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Step 1: Go grab a pair of 10" channel locks out of your toolbox

Step 2: Pick up rifle

Step 3: Sit down on couch, and perform safety check on said rifle. (Remove magazine, rack charging handle a few times, check chamber to ensure there is NOTHING in it. Lock back bolt, put weapon on safe, repeat three times)

Step 4: While still sitting on the couch, place the butt of the rifle on the floor between your legs, so the barrel is pointing vertically. (preferably a carpeted floor, but if not carpet, get a towel and fold it up to make sure the stock won't slip or scratch the floor)

Step 5: Pick up the channel locks and make sure they are on the smallest setting for the jaw size.

Step 6: Open the pliers up, and place the GRIPS of the pliers on the D-ring, and close the grips so they are resting on and snug on the ring.

Step 7: While keeping the grips closed, push down on the pliers, toward the receiver. This will push the d ring down, thus releasing the hand guard. If they stick, you may need a friend to pull them out for you, or sometimes you can give the rifle a jolt and they will come out.

Step 8: Apply pressure to the d ring in the same fashion, and install the new ones. Maybe with the help of a friend. Make sure they are all lined up and pretty before releasing pressure on the d ring.

Step 9: enjoy your new handguard

Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info it is very helpful.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I got it off it took me and my brother though one to pull the ring down and one to pull the hand guard off and I ordered the magpul moe one and a couple other parts. It's crazy I only want to spend $30 and end up spending $200 on parts for my ar's

Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1562 Posts
Likes Given: 1159

It is really a 5 minute job. I am also impressed how someone was there for you to pocket your $75 for nothing. A friendly LGS dealer who sells you the Magpul forend should be glad to snap it on. Magpul is a good choice. It is just handier than the standard forend, and looks better. Don't worry about free floating upgrades. On the AR carbine it is totally redundant (unless you want to be in the Guinness Book for worlds best Precision Long Distance Camp Perry M4 Carbine)