Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Changing a gas block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Changing a gas block

How hard is it to properly align a gas block when you install one?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is there a way to make sure it's dead-nuts on? I'm worried about sight alignment.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #3

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Center your rear sight (mechanical zero) and test fire. If the alignment is off, loosen the set screws on your gas block and turn it slightly in the direction of your POI. (eg. If it's shooting to the right - turn the gas block to the right.) Tighten set screws and test fire again. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited by Highpower; 02-24-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added POI clarification

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5098 Times on 2650 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Is there a way to make sure it's dead-nuts on? I'm worried about sight alignment.
if your using a picatinny block you can level the receiver then level the block. same as leveing a scope in a way.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Default Gas Block Alignment

Matt,

I usually take a small bubble balance square 5" And bubble balance the flat top receiver cross-ways to be sure it is square in the vise. Then I repeat the same procedure on the gas block picatinny rail. Both should be level with each other. Very seldom do I have a sight problem if installing a flip up front. However mostly I use the Gas Block to do away with the iron sights and put a scope on a rifle.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #6

May be a stupid question, can any AR have that tall front sight gas block be replaced with a low profile gas block, another question I always wondered does that traditional sight get in the way of scopes or dot sights? seems like it would

Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
May be a stupid question, can any AR have that tall front sight gas block be replaced with a low profile gas block, Yes, but getting it off can be a real PITA

another question I always wondered does that traditional sight get in the way of scopes or dot sights? seems like it would. A properly mounted red dot sight should cowitness the A2 sight tower, if the tower obstructs the view the optics are mounted too low. High end sights like EOtech $$$ are designed to mount correctly with the tower in place
10 characters

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #8

Liked 913 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
... another question I always wondered does that traditional sight get in the way of scopes ... seems like it would
An interesting thing happens with scoped ARs, even though you'd swear the FSB would have to block the line of sight, if the scope is say 4x or more the telephoto effect often gets the FSB out of view. The first time I tried it I was amazed and had to move my finger up the FSB until I saw its blur through the scope. Such a scope would have to be mounted real low for the FSB to be a problem. If that's the only reason you're considering a low profile gas block it's sure worth a little testing before going to all that trouble especially if the standard FSB already cowitnesses properly with your RDS.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-17-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

Thanks thats alot of help

Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I just got a new, lighter barrel and a new gas block. The barrel is blank, it has no indentations for set screws or grooves for taper pins . Do set screws not need indentations? If they DO need indentations, what's the best way to go about making them?