Changing a Com spec to a Mil spec buffer - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Changing a Com spec to a Mil spec buffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6191 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 448

The inside diameter of the buffer tubes on the milspec and commercial are close enoigh to same and all carbine buffers can be used in either type.

The milspec are smaller meaning slightly more rigid so if you gotta buttstroke a fool or two its less likely to snap on you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #12

Liked 713 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

It shouldn't even touch the deflector.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
It shouldn't even touch the deflector.
Well I think I need a heavier buffer then. The one in it now is not marked so maybe I'll contact Del Ton and find out what weight is in it now and go up a notch.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I have seen many M16s and ar-15's that the deflector is doing what it was made for, deflecting.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #15

Liked 1081 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 1094

Well if the buffer face isn't marked it should be a standard weight buffer (about 3 oz). Which is what I'd expect from a comspec DTI. Since you have carbine length gas and a SA carrier, I'd bet the H2 buffer would be about right. If you didn't run low power ammo you could get away with the H3. Even if the H3 is too much you could swap a tungsten weight with a steel weight from your standard buffer and end up with an H and an H2!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Is there any need to change the action spring when changing buffers?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
Is there any need to change the action spring when changing buffers?
Probably not. I use standard springs from BCM and PSA and can't tell much difference in feel or operation. Don't know what DTI uses. Measure the spring, it should be about 10.5-11.5".

Some folks swear by Sprinco stuff (and no doubt it's good) but most of us use standard springs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My advice is that you leave your gun "as-is", apart from minor upgrades that will better suit it to you as a shooter (furniture, optics, accessories). And then shoot. And then shoot some more. And learn what you value in the ideal AR. And then build your own gun, to your own desires, piece by piece...or find a fairly priced gun that suits your fancy. I used to have a DPMS Sportical with a Millet red dot. I added an M16 BCG and Magpul MOE furniture for my own preferences and piece of mind.

Keep the DelTon as a plinker, because it was probably a very good gun purchased at a very fair price. I'm just not sure it's a gun that's worthy of a massive overhaul IMO.

That's how I feel your firearm/money will be best served. But YMMV. I prefer a milspec buffer, but agree with others that it's a somewhat trivial detail that might not be worth paying to alter.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
My advice is that you leave your gun "as-is", apart from minor upgrades that will better suit it to you as a shooter (furniture, optics, accessories). And then shoot. And then shoot some more. And learn what you value in the ideal AR. And then build your own gun, to your own desires, piece by piece...or find a fairly priced gun that suits your fancy. I used to have a DPMS Sportical with a Millet red dot. I added an M16 BCG and Magpul MOE furniture for my own preferences and piece of mind.

Keep the DelTon as a plinker, because it was probably a very good gun purchased at a very fair price. I'm just not sure it's a gun that's worthy of a massive overhaul IMO.

That's how I feel your firearm/money will be best served. But YMMV. I prefer a milspec buffer, but agree with others that it's a somewhat trivial detail that might not be worth paying to alter.
That's good advise. I don't plan on doing too much to it. I've upgraded the front hand guard and wanted to address the buffer. The way I see it is if I buy good quality parts (like the hand guard and buffer) I can use them on my next build and return the Del Ton to stock. I do understand what you're saying about not dumping a ton of money into a base model AR.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #20

Again, 16" barrel, carbine length gas, SA BCG ... an H2 buffer is a good fit. If too heavy you can turn it into an H.

Cheap, easy upgrade and should get brass off the deflector.

______