Changed gas block, now it short strokes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Changed gas block, now it short strokes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Changed gas block, now it short strokes

I recently changed the gas block on my DPMS upper with a low profile DPMS one. Now it short strokes. The bolt barely clears the back of the mag when it cycles. It will cycle anywhere from 8 to 10 rounds before it won't cycle far enough to strip a round. When I run the mag dry the bolt actually locks back on the mag follower, not the bolt hold open.

Now, some history on this upper. It has done this same thing with the old gas block, however it was shooter dependent. I.E. it happened to everyone else, not me. Also, I took it to a gunsmith a while back because if you chambered a round you COULD NOT extract that round. The case was so tight in the chamber you had to fire the weapon to unload it.

Is there something I should be looking at, or should I send this thing to a gun smith? How can I tell if the GB is lined up properly I don't know of any true GS's here in Fresno area. There are some who advertise as GS's, but they're the guys you take your gun to to have drilled for a scope or something simple.

Thanks guys
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-13-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not lined up properly maybe.

DPMS is know for being out of spec. Sounds like you need to reem the chamber and look at the gas port diam.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-13-2012 at 02:16 AM.