Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Chamber wont stay open (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/chamber-wont-stay-open-61155/)

minchia 03-26-2012 11:25 PM

Chamber wont stay open
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ey guys
Recent acquired a stag lower and cmmg upper. Today was the first time I cleaned it.
After putting it all back together, I pulled the charging handle back, but the chamber wouldn't stay open. If there's an empty mag in, it will stay open.
I could swear it stayed open before without a mag.
Yes, I'm a newb, so any help would be great...
Thanks

Attachment 42457

Marlinman 03-26-2012 11:27 PM

There should be a bolt lock on the other side of the reciever.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Tackleberry1 03-26-2012 11:31 PM

Did you try pressing the mag hold open on the port side as you pulled the charging handle to the rear?

That large button is the mag release but whole unit is a lever. Pressing the top while the bolt is open releases the bolt. Pressing and holding the smaller, lower piece, activates the bolt catch.

This is why it locks open on an empty mag. The magazines follower bumps the hold open "internally" so it catches and retains the bolt in the open position.

And don't worry about the question. The only dumb ones are the ones you DON'T ask.:)

Tack

minchia 03-26-2012 11:34 PM

All I did when cleaning it was separate the two halves, and remove charging handle and bcg. What could I have done to make it not function properly?

Jpyle 03-26-2012 11:34 PM

If the charging handle is pulled back with an empty mag the bolt will lock in the open position. If you remove the mag it will remain open until you slap the bolt release. To manually lock the bolt push in on the top part of the bolt catch release when pulling back the charging handle.

minchia 03-26-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Did you try pressing the mag hold open on the port side as you pulled the charging handle to the rear?

That large button is the mag release but whole unit is a lever. Pressing the top while the bolt is open releases the bolt. Pressing and holding the smaller, lower piece, activates the bolt catch.

This is why it locks open on an empty mag. The magazines follower bumps the hold open "internally" so it catches and retains the bolt in the open position.

And don't worry about the question. The only dumb ones are the ones you DON'T ask.:)

Tack

I did try and press the lower smaller button, and it does catch it, but I accidentally bumped the stock on the table, and the catch let go.. Didn't seem right.
I asked my wife about it( we went to the range last week) she said it stayed open with out a mag with no issues.

Marlinman 03-26-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minchia

I did try and press the lower smaller button, and it does catch it, but I accidentally bumped the stock on the table, and the catch let go.. Didn't seem right.
I asked my wife about it( we went to the range last week) she said it stayed open with out a mag with no issues.

Its operating correctly. All m16 variants do that if you bump them hard enough

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

minchia 03-26-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle
If the charging handle is pulled back with an empty mag the bolt will lock in the open position. If you remove the mag it will remain open until you slap the bolt release. To manually lock the bolt push in on the top part of the bolt catch release when pulling back the charging handle.

Ok. Just tried this and worked just as you described it. For some reason I thought if you pulled the charging handle back, it'll lock open with out an empty mag..
All the more reasons why I need to get out to the range more, and get re-acquainted with her!!

Thanks guys

Jpyle 03-26-2012 11:52 PM

Actually, if it were to lock back without an empty mag that would be a malfunction. The magazine follower which can only engage the catch when all rounds are expelled from the mag is what does the work. If the bolt locked without a mag it could just as easily lock on a full mag, not a good thing when you pull the trigger and nothing happens...especially if rounds are coming at you.

minchia 03-27-2012 12:01 AM

Didn't think of it that way! Very good point..
Thanks again!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.