Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Century a "crapshoot" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/century-crapshoot-10141/)

bobbyb13 01-20-2009 04:21 PM

Century a "crapshoot"

After a ton of reading here, and some most helpful advice from John D. (many thanks Mr. JD) It seems that Century products is a crapshoot. Correct me or flame me if you need to. I have found 0 problems with the AR15 type I now have from them. I even stooped to feed it 40 rounds of steel case Wolf ammo. Nasty stuff. I have no feed problems, nothing. Maybe I got a good one. It will stay under 2 MOA a one hundred consistently if my old eyes do their part. My one question for any of you is there a step by step on here to changing it over to a A3 reciever to aid my eye sight with optics. I have also looked at the scope on Sarco that mounts to the carry handle. Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bob

Dillinger 01-20-2009 06:05 PM

Bob - Are you talking about stripping it down and rebuilding it on an A3 upper?

I was going to do a "Build Your Own Upper" for the Knowledge Base, but I got lazy and I have been postponing it as my current AR build took a turn for the "smarter" give the "O"pocalypse that is coming.

I can help walk you through it, as can junho and slowrdy, along with several other members.

There are downloads you can get directly from Brownell's for free.

Schematics.

Here is a source.

There are several on line, some even have video how to guides, but I can't link them from work. Do a google search for "How to assemble an AR-15 upper" and take a look at the links.

Let me know if you have any problems. It's pretty straightforward, but the first time is always a bit daunting until you see how easy it really is.

JD

bobbyb13 01-20-2009 07:04 PM

Exactly JD

I want to strip it down and put the A3 upper on it so I can have the option of optics for my feeble old eyes. BUT, I have also looked at the carry handle mounted scope from Sarco.

hillbilly68 01-21-2009 01:57 AM

Dont think you would care for the carry handle mount option, the "flat top" opens up a lot more possibilities. You can strip off the parts from the old receiver and save some money, everything that comes off the old can go on the new one. About 100 bucks for an upper when you can find them. If you can borrow an action block and wrench from a friend the tool cost will be zero. If not, it will be about 70 or so in specialty tools. DOnt try to do it without these. THe Brownell's video is great, step by step. Another AR specific website has good step by step and pics to help you too. Its an easy task. GOod luck!

dragunovsks 01-21-2009 03:36 AM

Hey bobby, I'd just like to add that I also have a Century Arms AR-15 and have also had NO problems out of it. I got it for $600 a few months back and love it. Also I read your other post about AR-15s and I do believe your's is an A2 model.