CAT M4 Bolt Tool

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > CAT M4 Bolt Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Default CAT M4 Bolt Tool

picked up a cat m4 bolt tool today

very handy for getting that bolt carrier group squeeky clean. gets those hard to reach areas clear of carbon build up.

the end opposite of the pronged end is used to clean the inside on the bolt carrier of carbon. it has a slot for holding a large patch but i found it worked better just wrapping the red cotton shop towel i use around it and cleaning out the carrier.

the other end is used to clean the base of the bolt. it has a groove the bolt sits in and a few turns dislodges all the baked on carbon.

the cut out in the center is used to clean the carbon off the base of the firing pin.

these areas have always been a pain trying to use various implents like knives screwdriver blades or just plain prolonged soaks to little success.

finally decided to try out on of these gadgets and its my new favorite AR15 tool!!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thats cool !! I have been looking at those but waiting for somebody to give some real world input. Thanks for the review

I was worried it would scratch and gouge the surface but looks like it worked pretty good.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Thats cool !! I have been looking at those but waiting for somebody to give some real world input. Thanks for the review

I was worried it would scratch and gouge the surface but looks like it worked pretty good.
that was my concern too but i was already scratching up my bcg as it was so i took a chance on it. it MAY remove some anodizing off a milspec bolt but i dont think it would be a issue. it didnt seem to hurt the bolt on my wife's carbine. but ive only used it for one cleaning on two rifles so far.

its actually got a lot of play in its various applications you can use as little or as much pressure as you care to bump the carbon off. there is so much play in cleaning the innards of the bcg itself i can wrap a shop towel around it and get the inside squeeky clean.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-06-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I'm also wary of scraping the bolt and carrier with one of those things. I kinda think if Filthy 14 doesn't need it, then I can just soak my BCGs instead.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I scrape the bolt tail and lugs with a sliced shell casing (or two), bent to fit the contour of the surface. It is brass, so you shouldn't have any concern as the parent metal is much harder.

Whatever keeps you asleep at night though.