Castle Nut and Wrench Don't Match?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Castle Nut and Wrench Don't Match?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Castle Nut and Wrench Don't Match?

I just received my UTG Stock:
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA
And a DPMS stock nut wrench:
AR-15/M16/M4/AR-STYLE STOCK NUT WRENCH - Brownells

But have a problem: The wrench fingers (protrusions) are a little too large for the castle nut notches.
Called AIM Surplus and the say this problem with the nut is the first time they hear of it.
Of course, I can return either or both but don't know which is the culprit.

Last edited by rccalzadilla; 09-01-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #2

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Just to be sure, you are testing the wrench on the side of the nut with the large notches?

I would expect the DPMS wrench to be ok so it's probably the UTG castle nut. Can you check the wrench on another AR? Someone else a while back had trouble with the sizing on a UTG stock kit. Don't remember if it was the castle nut though.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
I just received my UTG Stock:
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA
And a DPMS stock nut wrench:
AR-15/M16/M4/AR-STYLE STOCK NUT WRENCH - Brownells

But have a problem: The wrench fingers (protrusions) are a little too large for the castle nut notches.
Called AIM Surplus and the say this problem with the nut is the first time they hear of it.
Of course, I can return either or both but don't know which is the culprit.
RC, the castle nut has notches on both sides. The small ones are for staking the nut to the receiver. The other side has the notches that the wrench fits into. Is it possible you have the castle nut turned around backwards? The wrench you have bought should work. I have the same stock and a similar wrench and it went in great.

Here's a picture, notice the bigger notches are on the rear of the nut facing the back.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 09-01-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Snakedriver:
Yes, I noticed that and I have the correct side and orientation of the castle nut, that is, the larger notches face rearward on the stock.
I removed the castle nut and carefully aligned wrench and nut to study them and, no way, the castle nut notches are slightly smaller. Smaller by perhaps 1 to 1.5mm in each and everyone of the three notches that the tool must engage.

Perhaps I could file down each notch with a little flat file but, I don't know.
Can you tell me the type of wrench that you have? Does your wrench engage three notches?
Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
Snakedriver:
Yes, I noticed that and I have the correct side and orientation of the castle nut, that is, the larger notches face rearward on the stock.
I removed the castle nut and carefully aligned wrench and nut to study them and, no way, the castle nut notches are slightly smaller. Smaller by perhaps 1 to 1.5mm in each and everyone of the three notches that the tool must engage.

Perhaps I could file down each notch with a little flat file but, I don't know.
Can you tell me the type of wrench that you have? Does your wrench engage three notches?
Thanks for your reply.
RC, I bought the Rock River Arms wrench from Joe Bob Outfitters when I bought my LPK and other parts for my build. Yes it engages all three notches at the same time.

Here's a link for the one I bought. Joe Bob's has super fast shipping.

Tactical CAR Stock Wrench

Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Could it be that the coating on either the wrench or the castle nut was applied thicker than usual or thicker even on both? I would think that I would much rather have shinny on the wrench then the nut from filing! Have you checked the wrench with other castle nuts? I do know that every manufacturer is slightly different from the other so you will have variations!

Just some thoughts.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLRDist View Post
Could it be that the coating on either the wrench or the castle nut was applied thicker than usual or thicker even on both? I would think that I would much rather have shinny on the wrench then the nut from filing! Have you checked the wrench with other castle nuts? I do know that every manufacturer is slightly different from the other so you will have variations!

Just some thoughts.

Mark

MLR Distributing
I agree, I think I'd file down the lugs on the wrench before I'd file on the castle nut.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

OK. Under closer scrutiny with a brighter light, it's evident that the notches are indeed narrower but it may be from the coating.
On the wrench I can see also one shoulder sticks out more than the others and could also be the coating.
I am going ahead and fix the wrench and then fix the nut and let you guys know how I did.
thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

OK. All is well!
Had to work quite a bit on the wrench with a flat file and my trusty old Dremel with a cylindrical sandpaper tip for the rounded areas. The fingers on the wrench and other surfaces had interference material, for sure. Some of this areas had linear gauges from manufacture tooling.
Finally for not too tight fit, filed down just a little of the coating on the castle nut notches.
Torqued the tube no problem.
Now the tool works fine.

What I need now is to replace the finishing material I took off.
Suggestions please?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Snakedriver, I paid $27.99 plus shipping for my wrench you paid $5.95 plus shipping for yours.
What's the lesson here?