Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Case damage issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Doc You are CORRECT! Brain Fart on my end!
Reloads and ammunition is a concern for me here!
I just can not see the guns running that hot!
It does it with Walmart Remington 55 gr and my 60 gr V-Max reloads at 2700 FPS. I loaded them at COL 2.246 and the store bought are 2.230. I have sent an email to RRA (why didn't I think of that). Thanks guys. and I meant they eject to the right.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #12

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Let's get that ejection angle straightened out. You said about a 25 degree angle? From straight ahead where the barrel is pointing. Or more normally, if the barrel is pointing to 12 o'clock, then the brass is ejecting toward 2 o'clock? And how far away, six to ten feet? That would make sense if the brass is hitting the deflector hard, it would bounce forward to around 2 o'clock. Too long a gas pulse due to the extra 4" of barrel past the gas port.

If that's a fixed stock make sure it has a rifle buffer (5.5 oz?) and rifle spring (about 13.5"?). Also look at your bolt carrier and see if it's the M16 kind and properly sheilds the firing pin. Any extra weight might be your friend.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Let's get that ejection angle straightened out. You said about a 25 degree angle? From straight ahead where the barrel is pointing. Or more normally, if the barrel is pointing to 12 o'clock, then the brass is ejecting toward 2 o'clock? And how far away, six to ten feet? That would make sense if the brass is hitting the deflector hard, it would bounce forward to around 2 o'clock. Too long a gas pulse due to the extra 4" of barrel past the gas port.

If that's a fixed stock make sure it has a rifle buffer (5.5 oz?) and rifle spring (about 13.5"?). Also look at your bolt carrier and see if it's the M16 kind and properly sheilds the firing pin. Any extra weight might be your friend.
Boy, I didn't know this was going to be so hard. Pointing the barrel at 12:00 o'clock the brass is ejecting at about 4:00 (back and to the right) and landing about 10 feet away. My chrony has vel. at about 2700 fps. Thanks, i'll check the buffer weight and spring length.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

4 o'clock is about what you want. And a pile at ten feet.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.