Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Case damage issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Case damage issue

Just purchased a new AR15 and after shooting several rounds I have noticed the cases are being dented from the protrusion at the rear of the ejection port. The cases are being ejected to far to the rear I think. Is there a way to make the case eject more forwarded preventing the denting issue or is there something I'm doing incorrectly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5214 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

Post a picture of a case if you're really concerned, but:

Denting usually isn't much of an issue. Even if you reload, dented cases work fine.

The AR throws cases back. Thats why that "thingy" (case deflector) at the rear of the port is there. To keep cases from hitting left handed shooters in the face.

Unless there is SEVERE damage to the case, don't worry about it.

Golda Meier.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Where does the brass land? What angle? What ammo? What gas system length and barrel length? Which buffer weight? Gas port diameter also comes in to play, many cheaper ARs are overgassed. A heavier buffer could slow things down nicely.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5330 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 339

i think he has a 24" rra. that extra length allows for a more stiff jet of gas throught hte system. prolly needs a heavier buffer to compensate for it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Didn't realize it was so long. 24" is a bit much for rifle length gas, i hope the barrel maker knew to go with a smaller gas port. Could take some thought to increase carrier/buffer weight.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i think he has a 24" rra. that extra length allows for a more stiff jet of gas throught hte system. prolly needs a heavier buffer to compensate for it
Yes Jon your right. It is a RRA LAR15 24" Varmint SS match bull barrel made by Wilson. Chrome bolt and chrome match trigger set. And I don't know anything of the answers ask in the previous post. And friend also has a 20" RRA LAR15 that does the same thing. I just did not want to put my Lupua brass through it doing this. I assume you guys are talking about changing out the spring on the stock. So how would you know which to go with?
O'yea the brass lands at about 20 to 26 degrees to the left.
Sorry for the stupidity.

Last edited by jmqualls; 12-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5330 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 339

since its brand new contact rra first. their cs is decent enough

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Left handed rifle? Since the casings are going to the left? If it is running that hot you can put an H-2 buffer in it. That is rare that both would be denting cases. The gas port on that barrel should be around.090 to.100. My question is are these "*Reloads" or some cheap ammunition you are shooting? If so you are rolling the dice regarding pressure! What does the primers look like after the are fired?
As stated some pictures would help.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Left handed rifle? Since the casings are going to the left? If it is running that hot you can put an H-2 buffer in it. That is rare that both would be denting cases. The gas port on that barrel should be around.090 to.100. My question is are these "*Reloads" or some cheap ammunition you are shooting? If so you are rolling the dice regarding pressure! What does the primers look like after the are fired?
As stated some pictures would help.
I'm going to assume that since he is running a 24" barrel that he probably isn't running a carbine stock/buffer/spring combo and has a rifle weight buffer already. An H2 is lighter than a rifle buffer.

Check Brownells for a heavier spring. Also the ejector and extractor can be checked to see if you have too much of a grasp on the case rim or not enough.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Doc You are CORRECT! Brain Fart on my end!
Reloads and ammunition is a concern for me here!
I just can not see the guns running that hot!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy