Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Case damage issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/case-damage-issue-78104/)

jmqualls 12-09-2012 06:23 PM

Case damage issue

Just purchased a new AR15 and after shooting several rounds I have noticed the cases are being dented from the protrusion at the rear of the ejection port. The cases are being ejected to far to the rear I think. Is there a way to make the case eject more forwarded preventing the denting issue or is there something I'm doing incorrectly?

locutus 12-09-2012 07:17 PM

Post a picture of a case if you're really concerned, but:

Denting usually isn't much of an issue. Even if you reload, dented cases work fine.

The AR throws cases back. Thats why that "thingy" (case deflector) at the rear of the port is there. To keep cases from hitting left handed shooters in the face.

Unless there is SEVERE damage to the case, don't worry about it.

Quentin 12-09-2012 07:21 PM

Where does the brass land? What angle? What ammo? What gas system length and barrel length? Which buffer weight? Gas port diameter also comes in to play, many cheaper ARs are overgassed. A heavier buffer could slow things down nicely.

JonM 12-09-2012 07:29 PM

i think he has a 24" rra. that extra length allows for a more stiff jet of gas throught hte system. prolly needs a heavier buffer to compensate for it

Quentin 12-09-2012 07:43 PM

Didn't realize it was so long. 24" is a bit much for rifle length gas, i hope the barrel maker knew to go with a smaller gas port. Could take some thought to increase carrier/buffer weight.

jmqualls 12-09-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1045566)
i think he has a 24" rra. that extra length allows for a more stiff jet of gas throught hte system. prolly needs a heavier buffer to compensate for it

Yes Jon your right. It is a RRA LAR15 24" Varmint SS match bull barrel made by Wilson. Chrome bolt and chrome match trigger set. And I don't know anything of the answers ask in the previous post. And friend also has a 20" RRA LAR15 that does the same thing. I just did not want to put my Lupua brass through it doing this. I assume you guys are talking about changing out the spring on the stock. So how would you know which to go with?
O'yea the brass lands at about 20 to 26 degrees to the left.
Sorry for the stupidity.

JonM 12-09-2012 09:11 PM

since its brand new contact rra first. their cs is decent enough

Sniper03 12-09-2012 09:20 PM

Left handed rifle? Since the casings are going to the left? If it is running that hot you can put an H-2 buffer in it. That is rare that both would be denting cases. The gas port on that barrel should be around.090 to.100. My question is are these "*Reloads" or some cheap ammunition you are shooting? If so you are rolling the dice regarding pressure! What does the primers look like after the are fired?
As stated some pictures would help.

SSGN_Doc 12-09-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1045714)
Left handed rifle? Since the casings are going to the left? If it is running that hot you can put an H-2 buffer in it. That is rare that both would be denting cases. The gas port on that barrel should be around.090 to.100. My question is are these "*Reloads" or some cheap ammunition you are shooting? If so you are rolling the dice regarding pressure! What does the primers look like after the are fired?
As stated some pictures would help.

I'm going to assume that since he is running a 24" barrel that he probably isn't running a carbine stock/buffer/spring combo and has a rifle weight buffer already. An H2 is lighter than a rifle buffer.

Check Brownells for a heavier spring. Also the ejector and extractor can be checked to see if you have too much of a grasp on the case rim or not enough.

Sniper03 12-09-2012 10:50 PM

Doc You are CORRECT! Brain Fart on my end!
Reloads and ammunition is a concern for me here!
I just can not see the guns running that hot!