Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Don't think so.
Quote:
You've described a laser sight, not a red dot.
Here's a pretty good explanation, although the differences between holographic and red dot become a bit complicated and technical.

http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

Quote:
Also, the ACOG is not a holographic sight
Both correct-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerCav View Post
a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob
Sorry, please redo this.

Laser pointers are not red dots. Red dot sights don't use lasers. Eotechs do u use lasers.

Eotechs are holographic weapon sights(hws), require batteries.
Aimpoints are red dots sights (rds) require batteries.
Acogs are regular scopes with fiberoptic and tritium lighting. No batteries required.

Eotechs and aimpoints do exhibit parallax at extreme ranges, less than 5 yards, I've owned both.

Haven't had the honor of owning an acog, but it is a scope so the will be parallax to some degree, i will say that the few that ive sighted, i didnt like the eyebox, it was very unforgiving.

You have me stumped about rds/hws giving away you position, but it seems to me that no target is gonna see a dot that small beyond 15 yards. And if its at night and they can see your reticle or dot at a distance.....you the shooter will be dead anyways kuz your dot way too bright for night use and you just blinded urself.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Red dots like the Aimpoint use an internal lens that is angled and a LED light to project a reflected red dot image back to your eye while you look through the lenses at your target. To use these you keep both eyes open. Your dominant eye should be looking through the sight abd seeing the target and red dot. Your non-dominant eye should be looking at the target and peripheral field of view. Your brain combines these images so that what you see is a red dot on your target.

A holographic sight that is truly holographic works on the same principle, but uses a laser to project the image of the dot or reticle. The EOTech is one such sight. There are some knock off versions that are really just red dots that use an LED to project a dot or cutout image if a reticle instead if using a laser.

Then there are laser sights that project a laser into a target. A laser is a straight beam of light, while a bullet trajectory is an arc. So a laser can only realistically be on the bullet path at one distance or possibly two distances if it is exactly over the exact center of the bullet path and the wind or other forces do not cause the bullet to drift to one side.

The Trijicon ACOG uses tritium instead of batteries to illuminate the reticle inside the sight. Also the ACOG usually has some level of magnification while the Aimpoint and EOTech are non magnified by themselves. This bit of magnification can make that principle of one eye on dot and one eye on target a bit harder for some people to master for quick shots. Some people have no problem with it. Some prefer the handiness of having some magnification to improve target ID and definition for more precise shots in the field without having to do more manipulation of the weapon, like attaching or flipping a magnifier into place.

Just some info for you on the design differences of the various optical systems out there.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Quote:
a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob
2f.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
AgentTikki Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

good article thanks for posting that.
I was trying to differentiate the difference between the laser pointer type vs the reflex / eotech type.
I've bookmarked that post for future reference.
Thanks
Bob.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
good article thanks for posting that.
I was trying to differentiate the difference between the laser pointer type vs the reflex / eotech type.
I've bookmarked that post for future reference.
Thanks
Bob.
Well dun sir- You learned something- Didn't bitch moan or cry about being corrected

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-First-Strike-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Fast practical/combat minute of bad guy shooting, Rds and hws are unbeatable. Insanely fast pickup/ transition and both eyes open for wide fov field of view. You get a sight pictue in honestly much less than 1/2 the time it take you to get a sight picture with irons. Just keep both eyes open. Look at the target, put the dot on target (dont focus on the target) and squeeze it off. Its fast fast fast and you focus on the target not front sight post. Not the best for precision shooting even with a magnifier as the dots can be pretty big, but unparalled at combat/prectical shooting.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #18

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Vjxffhjhhhjjji hhukh

Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Vjxffhjhhhjjji hhukh
That's what my posts look like when my kitten walks across my keyboard.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #20

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

The best way to figure out what is best for you is to try different sights. I prefer the holographic sights like EOtech. I tried many different types until I found what I liked the best.