Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG

When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-First-Strike-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am a bit older, and I have a hard time with open sights. Can't focus on either, without glasses, can't focus on target with glasses. So I tried a holo sight. I know the young bucks in the military love them. But they were made for older guys. I can shoot 3 inch groups with my holo sight, at 100 yards. Past that I would need a magnifier, or a different sight.

If you are not shooting over 100 yards, a holo sight is something you want to check out.

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Like your question- Wish i cud help more=
I love the EOtech (Holographic) but always wondered about the ACOG myself- for the cost MUST be gud Military uses them (guess they still do?)
I'm sure they'll be sum modern servin types around soon to enlighten us. Hell, when i was in the A2 was the only thing to use

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1101 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-First-Strike-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
i'll try my best here goes.

irons are irons are irons. you can pick a carry handle, or a flip up it doesnt really matter. most all of them perform the same. you wont be shooting bullseyes at super long distances unless you have great eyesight, even then it will be tricky. but with practice, human sized targets are easy to hit at 500 yards. also a must to at least know how to use them properly. even if there just a backup.

RDS, im not super positive the differences. ive used an eotech 512, and a bushnell trophy 1x28 scope. to me both seemed to work the same. no zoom, aiming area, and a little adjustable dot.

now the ACOG.. this i know.
stands for advanced combat optical gunsight. there are different models but the one i'm most familer with is the tac31 i believe.. its the USMC sight. instead of a crosshair you get a chevron for your main aim point. it also has BDC markings for up to 800m. its super clear and crisp.. and the best point.... no batteries required.. ever! the sight is illuminated by the tritium, it absorbs all surrounding light. its amazing how bright it appears with very little light. and very rugged.. i would want no other sight for combat, or SHTF. but in the world of hunting and target shooting. a real scope would probly be more accurate.. but not by much..
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

It's good to have a carry handle at least as a spare. Make sure you get the milspec height version (like BCM or Colt). Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and other have the shorter commercial height version. I also like the look but then I'm old and carried the M16 in Nam.

(Of course if you have the commercial height front sight instead of F marked FSB then you're screwed.)

The rest of your question depends on your preference not mine. For me, I like an Aimpoint Micro or good clone. Of course then a BUIS makes more sense than a carry handle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
It's good to have a carry handle at least as a spare. Make sure you get the milspec height version (like BCM or Colt). Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and other have the shorter commercial height version. I also like the look but then I'm old and carried the M16 in Nam.

(Of course if you have the commercial height front sight instead of F marked FSB then you're screwed.)

The rest of your question depends on your preference not mine. For me, I like an Aimpoint Micro or good clone.
Quote:
Of course then a BUIS makes more sense than a carry handle.
Saved me a comment

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You can beat the absolute piss out of an ACOG and still have a reliable, accurate scope.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #8

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Saved me a comment
Old vets think alike, Hoss!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob

Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerCav View Post
a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob
Don't think so. You've described a laser sight, not a red dot.

Here's a pretty good explanation, although the differences between holographic and red dot become a bit complicated and technical.

http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

Also, the ACOG is not a holographic sight.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation