Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/carry-handle-vs-red-dot-vs-holographic-vs-acog-77442/)

texaswoodworker 11-30-2012 09:13 PM

Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG
 
When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-First-Strike-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Ruger52 12-01-2012 12:43 AM

I am a bit older, and I have a hard time with open sights. Can't focus on either, without glasses, can't focus on target with glasses. So I tried a holo sight. I know the young bucks in the military love them. But they were made for older guys. I can shoot 3 inch groups with my holo sight, at 100 yards. Past that I would need a magnifier, or a different sight.

If you are not shooting over 100 yards, a holo sight is something you want to check out.

HOSSFLY 12-01-2012 12:50 AM

Like your question- Wish i cud help more=
I love the EOtech (Holographic) but always wondered about the ACOG myself- for the cost MUST be gud :eek: Military uses them (guess they still do?)
I'm sure they'll be sum modern servin types around soon to enlighten us. Hell, when i was in the A2 was the only thing to use :o

jjfuller1 12-01-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1033685)
When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-First-Strike-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

i'll try my best here goes.

irons are irons are irons. you can pick a carry handle, or a flip up it doesnt really matter. most all of them perform the same. you wont be shooting bullseyes at super long distances unless you have great eyesight, even then it will be tricky. but with practice, human sized targets are easy to hit at 500 yards. also a must to at least know how to use them properly. even if there just a backup.

RDS, im not super positive the differences. ive used an eotech 512, and a bushnell trophy 1x28 scope. to me both seemed to work the same. no zoom, aiming area, and a little adjustable dot.

now the ACOG.. this i know.
stands for advanced combat optical gunsight. there are different models but the one i'm most familer with is the tac31 i believe.. its the USMC sight. instead of a crosshair you get a chevron for your main aim point. it also has BDC markings for up to 800m. its super clear and crisp.. and the best point.... no batteries required.. ever! the sight is illuminated by the tritium, it absorbs all surrounding light. its amazing how bright it appears with very little light. and very rugged.. i would want no other sight for combat, or SHTF. but in the world of hunting and target shooting. a real scope would probly be more accurate.. but not by much..

Quentin 12-01-2012 01:27 AM

It's good to have a carry handle at least as a spare. Make sure you get the milspec height version (like BCM or Colt). Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and other have the shorter commercial height version. I also like the look but then I'm old and carried the M16 in Nam.

(Of course if you have the commercial height front sight instead of F marked FSB then you're screwed.)

The rest of your question depends on your preference not mine. For me, I like an Aimpoint Micro or good clone. Of course then a BUIS makes more sense than a carry handle.

HOSSFLY 12-01-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1034054)
It's good to have a carry handle at least as a spare. Make sure you get the milspec height version (like BCM or Colt). Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and other have the shorter commercial height version. I also like the look but then I'm old and carried the M16 in Nam.

(Of course if you have the commercial height front sight instead of F marked FSB then you're screwed.)

The rest of your question depends on your preference not mine. For me, I like an Aimpoint Micro or good clone.
Quote:

Of course then a BUIS makes more sense than a carry handle.

Saved me a comment :D

hoovco 12-01-2012 01:35 AM

You can beat the absolute piss out of an ACOG and still have a reliable, accurate scope.

Quentin 12-01-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1034062)
Saved me a comment :D

Old vets think alike, Hoss! :D

formerCav 12-01-2012 01:43 AM

a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob

treehugger49 12-01-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formerCav (Post 1034083)
a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
HTH
Bob

Don't think so. You've described a laser sight, not a red dot.

Here's a pretty good explanation, although the differences between holographic and red dot become a bit complicated and technical.

http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

Also, the ACOG is not a holographic sight.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.