Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Carry handle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/carry-handle-3134/)

sbninja 01-27-2008 10:25 PM

Carry handle?

Hi all, I went to my local gun shop and took a look at the Bushmaster M4 'izzy'
it's busmasters 'postban' model. it has a fixed carry handle. An 'A3" version is available with flat top w/picatinny rail and a detachable carry handle.

I kind of like the fixed handle with iron sights. If , in the future, I want to ada scope...or a holosight, I can add a rail on the fixed carry handle wich also has a 'see through' so I could still use the iron sights.

What are your thoughts on both types of carry handles(pros and cons)

Righteous 01-27-2008 10:47 PM

I only like fixed handles on AR's , with a flat top the scope or etc. is always to low for me, i perfer them to sit higher on the line of sight for me

bkt 01-28-2008 10:26 AM

I prefer the flat-top. If you want a handle, add one. If you don't want the handle, remove it. It's just a matter of preference.

ARnoob 01-28-2008 04:57 PM

detachable Carry handle

I just bought a detachable carry handle for my upper. The sight on it lines up with the foreward attached sight of the upper, but my shots are about 2 inches off (low of the desired target). I guess I just have to adjust the sight, but I don't know if I need some kind of riser plate/pad for the detachable carry handle to compensate for the lack of elevation/height...???:confused:

bkt 01-28-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARnoob (Post 15121)
I just bought a detachable carry handle for my upper. The sight on it lines up with the foreward attached sight of the upper, but my shots are about 2 inches off (low of the desired target). I guess I just have to adjust the sight, but I don't know if I need some kind of riser plate/pad for the detachable carry handle to compensate for the lack of elevation/height...???:confused:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What kind of rear sight were you using before you added the carry handle? I'd expect the carry handle rear sight to be a little higher than other kinds of rear sights which would raise your shots, not lower them.

You should be able to adjust elevation with your front post sight by pushing in the pin next to the post and turning the post counter-clockwise to raise the front post.

ARnoob 01-29-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 15124)
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What kind of rear sight were you using before you added the carry handle? I'd expect the carry handle rear sight to be a little higher than other kinds of rear sights which would raise your shots, not lower them.

You should be able to adjust elevation with your front post sight by pushing in the pin next to the post and turning the post counter-clockwise to raise the front post.

Yeah, I didn't have a rear sight before. The upper came with a front mounted sight only. It's a POF p-415 gas piston upper. Anyway, I think that I'll just have to adjust the sights.

RMTactical 02-05-2008 08:18 PM

Go flat top.

slowryde45 02-05-2008 08:58 PM

+ another for the flat top

Some like the carry handle look, but you'll find it easier to mount optics on the flat top receiver versus on the A2 carry handle. Not that you can't find optics mounts for the carry handle models, you can. But you'll have more flexibility going with the flat top model, as you'll have more usable room to work with if you need to move the optic forward, pretty interesting to do on a carry handle mount. They do make mounts like the one by Benny Cooley, that mount on the carry handle and provides a mounting rail that would be located forward of the handle, above your forearm. Those are mainly designed for optics like the Eotech. If you went with the A3 upper, you could still mount a carry handle if that is the look you like, and still be able to remove it and mount whatever optics you like, or whatever else you might want to throw up there. ;)