Which carrier for new build; f/a or semi

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which carrier for new build; f/a or semi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Which carrier for new build; f/a or semi

Hi. I finally have all my parts for a new AR build; the charging handle was the last, oh and magazines from Surplus Ammo. I splurged for a BCM medium and hope that works out ok. A friend of a friend gave me a bolt and two carriers to chose from; Spikes f/a or a takeoff from a Smith and Wesson MP. All my other parts are milspec; LP build kit from PSA including stock buffer tube , spring and buffer, M/P lower, PSA pencil profile upper. Nuttin fancy but solid I think. Which carrier would you choose of the two? I need to return the other, and later return the favor for the gift of the parts. Any problem with cycling the heavier carrier?? Kinda leaning that way. Thanx again folks, tk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
Hi. I finally have all my parts for a new AR build; the charging handle was the last, oh and magazines from Surplus Ammo. I splurged for a BCM medium and hope that works out ok. A friend of a friend gave me a bolt and two carriers to chose from; Spikes f/a or a takeoff from a Smith and Wesson MP. All my other parts are milspec; LP build kit from PSA including stock buffer tube , spring and buffer, M/P lower, PSA pencil profile upper. Nuttin fancy but solid I think. Which carrier would you choose of the two? I need to return the other, and later return the favor for the gift of the parts. Any problem with cycling the heavier carrier?? Kinda leaning that way. Thanx again folks, tk
Not an issue either way. Some prefer the additional mass of the FA to slow down the cycling, especially on a carbine gas system.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Get FA if you can. Semiauto works as advertised. Either will do in a pinch.

I personally prefer FA. But have and have run both with no issues.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Forgot to say midlength, if that makes a difference,thanx, tk

Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Sure, get the FA carrier though SA is ok too. I have three midlengths with FA carriers and H buffers. They cycle low power steel case just fine.

What brand bolt are you talking. I'd say that's the part of the BCG you should be concerned with. I expect Spikes and S&W both stake the carrier key properly but we don't know anything about the bolt.

Of course the way things are today you can't be choosy about a BCG in hand.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I believe the bolt is from the previously mentioned Smith and Wesson M/P, so it was with the semi carrier. It was missing the cam pin, firing pin, and gas rings which I procured from Bravo. The f/a has the spikes logo. Both are almost unused, maybe 50 rds reported. Source is trusted and knowledgable. And yes both are staked. I believe he upgraded this rifle to a piston upper, but these parts in any case are takeoffs from new rifles. He has built a few.... Thanx, tk

Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
I noticed you are from CA. Be careful; the laws there are stricter than elsewhere.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

I noticed you are from CA. Be careful; the laws there are stricter than elsewhere.
And might get stupid shortly with the new laws they are rushing through CA....

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

FA carriers.....as of now are not really an issue in Cali.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
FA carriers.....as of now are not really an issue in Cali.
Wonder what their postion is on the cutout in a lot of uppers for the auto sear? I have seen some uppers that don't have them, and those that do.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin