Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Which carrier for new build; f/a or semi (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/carrier-new-build-f-semi-80855/)

tomykay12 01-10-2013 01:52 AM

Which carrier for new build; f/a or semi

Hi. I finally have all my parts for a new AR build; the charging handle was the last, oh and magazines from Surplus Ammo. I splurged for a BCM medium and hope that works out ok. A friend of a friend gave me a bolt and two carriers to chose from; Spikes f/a or a takeoff from a Smith and Wesson MP. All my other parts are milspec; LP build kit from PSA including stock buffer tube , spring and buffer, M/P lower, PSA pencil profile upper. Nuttin fancy but solid I think. Which carrier would you choose of the two? I need to return the other, and later return the favor for the gift of the parts. Any problem with cycling the heavier carrier?? Kinda leaning that way. Thanx again folks, tk

Jpyle 01-10-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomykay12 (Post 1087351)
Hi. I finally have all my parts for a new AR build; the charging handle was the last, oh and magazines from Surplus Ammo. I splurged for a BCM medium and hope that works out ok. A friend of a friend gave me a bolt and two carriers to chose from; Spikes f/a or a takeoff from a Smith and Wesson MP. All my other parts are milspec; LP build kit from PSA including stock buffer tube , spring and buffer, M/P lower, PSA pencil profile upper. Nuttin fancy but solid I think. Which carrier would you choose of the two? I need to return the other, and later return the favor for the gift of the parts. Any problem with cycling the heavier carrier?? Kinda leaning that way. Thanx again folks, tk

Not an issue either way. Some prefer the additional mass of the FA to slow down the cycling, especially on a carbine gas system.

AgentTikki 01-10-2013 03:21 AM

Get FA if you can. Semiauto works as advertised. Either will do in a pinch.

I personally prefer FA. But have and have run both with no issues.

tomykay12 01-10-2013 03:52 AM

Forgot to say midlength, if that makes a difference,thanx, tk

Quentin 01-10-2013 07:07 AM

Sure, get the FA carrier though SA is ok too. I have three midlengths with FA carriers and H buffers. They cycle low power steel case just fine.

What brand bolt are you talking. I'd say that's the part of the BCG you should be concerned with. I expect Spikes and S&W both stake the carrier key properly but we don't know anything about the bolt.

Of course the way things are today you can't be choosy about a BCG in hand.

tomykay12 01-10-2013 04:10 PM

I believe the bolt is from the previously mentioned Smith and Wesson M/P, so it was with the semi carrier. It was missing the cam pin, firing pin, and gas rings which I procured from Bravo. The f/a has the spikes logo. Both are almost unused, maybe 50 rds reported. Source is trusted and knowledgable. And yes both are staked. I believe he upgraded this rifle to a piston upper, but these parts in any case are takeoffs from new rifles. He has built a few.... Thanx, tk

fsted2a 01-11-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomykay12 (Post 1087351)

I noticed you are from CA. Be careful; the laws there are stricter than elsewhere.

monteros 01-11-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a

I noticed you are from CA. Be careful; the laws there are stricter than elsewhere.

And might get stupid shortly with the new laws they are rushing through CA....

AgentTikki 01-11-2013 08:02 PM

FA carriers.....as of now are not really an issue in Cali.

fsted2a 01-14-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 1089655)
FA carriers.....as of now are not really an issue in Cali.

Wonder what their postion is on the cutout in a lot of uppers for the auto sear? I have seen some uppers that don't have them, and those that do.