Carbine vs. Mid length

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carbine vs. Mid length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carbine vs. Mid length

Hey guys

I am going to build my first ar 15 soon, but I am trying to decide whether or not to get a carbine or mid length barrel. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Dabean,

It is strictly personal preference. Although I have several CAR length I prefer the Mid-length. With quality parts we will eliminate the misconception that one is more reliable than the other! That is not true. Both are dependable.
I prefer the Mid Length for a couple of reasons. 1. The sight radius is longer on the Mid. Second the Mid Length gives you an additional 1 3/4 length if you should decide to put a Quad Rail on it to mount lights, vertical grips or other accessories on. A good example of this is go on line and look at the Rock River Arms Govt. 1001 Rifle System. It is a carbine length but you can see with the Surefire 951XM Light on it the front Quad Rail area of the rifle is cluttered. If it were to have been a mid-length they would have an additional 1 3/4 inches up there and you could grip the hand-guard area. But as I stated it is truly personal preference. Good Luck and either would be a good choice.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The midlength will shoot smoother/softer.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i prefer 20" full length second is mid.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hell,dose anybody shoot a carbine anymore? Seems like all ya see on the circuit is a disapator (may have misspelled that) type rifles.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a carbine and enjoy shooting it.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #7

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Midlength is ideal for a 16" barrel, a softer gas pulse that's easier on the rifle. And the other advantages mentioned above.

Carbine length is considered ideal for a 14.5" barrel but lately people have been experimenting using midlength with it too.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #8

ok thanks for all the advices

Old 12-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Midlength is ideal for a 16" barrel, a softer gas pulse that's easier on the rifle. And the other advantages mentioned above.

Carbine length is considered ideal for a 14.5" barrel but lately people have been experimenting using midlength with it too.
I have a 14.5" mid-length and I couldn't imagine more "ideal". I know there's scientific reasons that optimize a given barrel length vs. gas system, but you also have those that contest that the longer the gas system the better, so who knows.

And yes, the Dissipator on an HBAR is impressive and recoil is to the point that after a few hundred rounds it isn't noticed.