Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carbine vs. Mid for first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carbine vs. Mid for first build

Hey guys, I've been looking around this site for a while but this is my first post. I am in the process of building my own AR and I decided to buy a complete upper. I am having a problem deciding between a carbine and a mid length. The gun will mostly be for short target shooting and some zombie removal I guess what i'm looking for is advantages/disadvantages to each type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5100 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

please give us an intro in the new member section

as to your question i personally see no point of carbine length if you dont have a short barrel permit. mid length gives a smoother recoil impulse. optimal is rifle length. carbine length is a short fast impulse as it drains gas from a higher pressure barrel point than mid or full.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mid length will shoot a little softer/smoother. Some say its easier on the internals as well. Plus it gives you a longer sight radius.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What length barrel? Assuming a 16", I'd go with the middy if your going to order a new upper for your build for the reasons JonM stated

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #5

ISix of one, half a dozen of the other, so to speak. Differentiating between the recoil impulse of a mid length gas system and a carbine system, both on 16" barrels, is not terribly easy to do. The mid length gas system is a "solution" to a problem that didn't exist.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #6

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

I agree with the above except Jeep. Jeep does make a point but Midlength gas is ideal for 14.5-16". If you're going say 11.5-14.5" carbine makes sense. There is overlap at 14.5 but carbine isn't the best choice at 16".

ETA:
And since the cost is roughly the same, why not choose the best solution for your barrel length...

Last edited by Quentin; 02-25-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

Heres some great info on different gas systems. Lots of people think the 16'' carbine operates at a higher pressure than a 14'' but it doesnt. I does have a better dwell time though.AR15BARRELS.COM - Randall's description of AR gas operation and how everything works in harmony I have heard lots of good feedback on the middys by owners. And I am verry happy with the way my Carbines run. I would like to own all the different length gas systems someday

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #8

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Excellent write up by Randall as usual, thanks MrMilspecer!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info, decided to go with a 16" mid. It will be here on Wednesday!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Specs on the barrel?