Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Carbine vs. Mid for first build (

darthpizza 02-25-2011 02:36 AM

Carbine vs. Mid for first build
Hey guys, I've been looking around this site for a while but this is my first post. I am in the process of building my own AR and I decided to buy a complete upper. I am having a problem deciding between a carbine and a mid length. The gun will mostly be for short target shooting and some zombie removal :) I guess what i'm looking for is advantages/disadvantages to each type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JonM 02-25-2011 02:45 AM

please give us an intro in the new member section :)

as to your question i personally see no point of carbine length if you dont have a short barrel permit. mid length gives a smoother recoil impulse. optimal is rifle length. carbine length is a short fast impulse as it drains gas from a higher pressure barrel point than mid or full.

mjkeat 02-25-2011 02:47 AM

Mid length will shoot a little softer/smoother. Some say its easier on the internals as well. Plus it gives you a longer sight radius.

Gatekeeper 02-25-2011 02:48 AM

What length barrel? Assuming a 16", I'd go with the middy if your going to order a new upper for your build for the reasons JonM stated

jeepcreep927 02-25-2011 04:23 AM

ISix of one, half a dozen of the other, so to speak. Differentiating between the recoil impulse of a mid length gas system and a carbine system, both on 16" barrels, is not terribly easy to do. The mid length gas system is a "solution" to a problem that didn't exist.

Quentin 02-25-2011 01:23 PM

I agree with the above except Jeep. Jeep does make a point but Midlength gas is ideal for 14.5-16". If you're going say 11.5-14.5" carbine makes sense. There is overlap at 14.5 but carbine isn't the best choice at 16".

And since the cost is roughly the same, why not choose the best solution for your barrel length...

MrMilspecer 02-25-2011 03:44 PM

Heres some great info on different gas systems. Lots of people think the 16'' carbine operates at a higher pressure than a 14'' but it doesnt. I does have a better dwell time though.AR15BARRELS.COM - Randall's description of AR gas operation and how everything works in harmony I have heard lots of good feedback on the middys by owners. And I am verry happy with the way my Carbines run. I would like to own all the different length gas systems someday :D

Quentin 02-25-2011 07:54 PM

Excellent write up by Randall as usual, thanks MrMilspecer!

darthpizza 02-26-2011 12:16 AM

Thanks for all the info, decided to go with a 16" mid. It will be here on Wednesday!

mjkeat 02-26-2011 12:23 AM

Specs on the barrel?