Carbine stock on a rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carbine stock on a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carbine stock on a rifle?

I want a collapsable stock for my SP1 rifle. Particularly the Magpul ACS. Most of the stocks i see say they are for carbine's. Will any stock work on my SP1 Rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6040 Times on 3166 Posts
Likes Given: 433

should work just fine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Do i need any special tools to replace it? I am also installing a Magpul ASAP sling adapter.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Take a look at VLTORs A5 stock set. Its a longer tube and uses a buffer similar to an A2. The buffers are also heavier. The reviews have been nothing but great.

The SP1s have an A2 style buffer tube correct? If so you'll have to replace the tube, castle nut, and end plate. You'll also need a new spring and buffer. All you'll need is a tool to tighten down the castle nut.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Take a look at VLTORs A5 stock set. Its a longer tube and uses a buffer similar to an A2. The buffers are also heavier. The reviews have been nothing but great.

The SP1s have an A2 style buffer tube correct? If so you'll have to replace the tube, castle nut, and end plate. You'll also need a new spring and buffer. All you'll need is a tool to tighten down the castle nut.
I do like the VLTOR, its just $100 more than the ACS. Although, if i have to replace all those parts for the ACS, it might be worth getting the A5. I need to look into that.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

MAX,

When you buy! Purchase the complete kit. * From a reputable company. Stock, Buffer. Buffer Spring and Extension Tube. (Buffer Tube as some call it.) The kit will fit just fine. You will need a CAR Stock Wrench. Also it is very critical that you get the depth of the Extension Tube in the correct position with the Buffer Retainer upon installation. I have seen in one case where it was not set properly and they trashed the an SP-1's Receiver. The last thing you want to do is trash an Colt SP-1's Receiver because for all practical purposes they are collectors items at this time and worth some $$$$$. Please let us know if you need any assistance when getting ready or installing. We will be glad to guide you through it.

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-05-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
MAX,

When you buy! Purchase the compete kit. * From a reputable company. Stock, Buffer. Buffer Spring and Extension Tube. (Buffer Tube as some call it.) The kit will fit just fine. You will need a CAR Stock Wrench. Also it is very critical that you get the depth of the Extension Tube in the correct position with the Buffer Retainer upon installation. I have seen in one case where it was not set properly and they trashed the an SP-1's Receiver. The last thing you want to do is trash an Colt SP-1's Receiver because for all practical purposes they are collectors items at this time and worth some $$$$$. Please let us know if you need any assistance when getting ready or installing. We will be glad to guide you through it.

Thanks for the help Sniper! I think i will get the VLTOR A5 kit. I will be in touch for sure before i install it.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You can use the ACS w/ the A5 kit. It just wont collapse all the way. Itll stop one position short of fully collapsed.