Carbine or mid-length
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carbine or mid-length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Carbine or mid-length

I'm looking at doing a BCM rifle and I'm trying to decide on length. I really like the way the carbine looks but I've been told I should get mid-length for the gas system to work better. I wanted ur opinion. The other info on the gun so far is, I will be using it for plinking target practice. It will be used for SHTF but until then, just targets. I will have it chambered in 5.56 and will probably be the cheap stuff. The barrel is 1 in 7 twist.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6620 Times on 3518 Posts
Likes Given: 490

The purpose of carbine length gas system is to work with the military m16 m4 carbine's 14.5 inch barrel. This barrel length is also the root cause of people carping about the lack of power in the 5.56 round. Chopping the barrel off by almost 6 inches does make it easier to use at very very short range but it also turns the 5.56 into a round very close to a 22magnum...

The 1:7 twist is used by the military to stabilize the longer tracer rounds.

My opinion:

Unless your running a sbr your better off going midlength. Unless you plan on using tracer or need to stabilize very very heavy bullets a 1:8 or 1:9 is better. As the slower twist will get decent accuracy out of cheap 55grn bullets.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What's a sbr? Or what I mean is is a 16" and shorter considered a sbr or is it like the 14.5" and shorter?

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 10-17-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1635

Whale,

If the rifle is of good quality and has the proper gas port size, I have never found any difference in reliability between the CAR and the Mid-length ARs.
There are reasons why this opinion has came about. That being companies putting in the wrong sized gas port in the barrel. For example the Mid-length requires a larger gas port hole in the barrel than the Car Length barrel referring to the 16" barrel for example. If they were to put too large a gas port in a Car application it would in all probability have too much gas and cause the rifle to run Hot! or out of time. This equals to feed and extraction issues. But should that occur most would say that the CAR was not reliable! This situation has occurred more times in the past in the industry than we would like to speak about! So the mystique of the Car not being as reliable has come about. Either, if built correctly and with the proper specifications is no less reliable than the other. You will hear the same argument when it comes to the gas impingement and gas piston systems for the same reasons.
I will admit the Gas Piston System keeps the inside of the receiver a little cleaner. So we are back to personal preference. I prefer the Mid-Length for two reasons. #1 Longer Sight Radius on the irons and #2 much more mounting surface if using a quad rail to mount accessories ie Lights, Optics, Vertical Grips and etc. I have both but like the Mid-Length the best. Take a look at the Rock River Arms Website and look at the CAR Model Govt.1000. You will see what I mean about the congestion of mounting a good light on the CAR length rifle compared to the Mid-Lengths pictured there. Good luck with your selection.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1635

Whale

SBR Stands for Short Barreled Rifle and is any rifle barrel under 16" without a Flash Hider or Muzzle Break. Some guys go with a 14" Barrel but the Flash Hider or Muzzle Break must be braised and pinned to the barrel to make it non removable and total of 16" Like a Vortex Flash Hider which when braised and pined makes it a true 16" barrel. Anything less is a NFA Rifle regulated by the National Firearms Act/ATF the same as a class III weapon and paperwork and payment of $200+ dollars for the Federal Stamp. In addition when it becomes an NFA weapon it is for ever!. I would not recommend even going there. In most cases the advantage of reducing the AR barrel by a few inches doesn't of set the cost and the future hassle should you ever want to trade it in. And certainly effects the ballistics also. May be great for SWAT Entry Teams and etc. operating in close quarters, but for most of us is not worth the consideration or hassle. Unless it is just for the COOL and CHICKS DIG IT FACTOR!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well the plan was a 16" barrel so I can change the flash suppresser, but I'm wondering if the added inch and a half or so of the suppresser gets it out of the sbr range. So it would almost be a total barrel length of 18". I want a BCM and I've herd from some guys on this forum that its a good quality rifle, so I will assume they know what they are doing with the gas tube.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A midlength BCM will make you happy.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1135 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
Well the plan was a 16" barrel so I can change the flash suppresser, but I'm wondering if the added inch and a half or so of the suppresser gets it out of the sbr range. So it would almost be a total barrel length of 18". I want a BCM and I've herd from some guys on this forum that its a good quality rifle, so I will assume they know what they are doing with the gas tube.
It's up to you. With a true 16" threaded barrel you can swap out muzzle devices easily. With a shorter barrel you must permanently attach a MD that brings the overall barrel/MD length to at least 16" - or register it as a SBR.

A BCM 16" or 14.5" midlength is a great choice.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

i have a mid-length. it made me happy! =D
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101