Carbine length to rifle length barrell
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Carbine length to rifle length barrell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Carbine length to rifle length barrell

Can you buy a mid length or rifle length barrell to replace a carbine length ? I know I will have to get new handguards and gas tube . Is there anything else I would have to do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Possibly the buffer. Have you thought about selling that upper and buying what you want?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Yea I thought of getting a whole upper or a new rifle but I already have five Ar15 and really just wanted to make one of them more accurate , just for plinking I'n my pasture longest shot is 300 yds . I

Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

And what you have aren't accurate enough at 300 yards?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Methinks JonM's influence is in play here. .75" groups at 300 yards is crazy impressive. /salute.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Basic answer is yes, you can change barrels, gas tubes, and handguards to get the length you want.

The length of the barrel doesn't determine accuracy though. at 300 yds and shorter distances a match quality 16" barrel would still get you the accuracy that you need. The extra length gets you more velocity which can give you a flatter trajectory, but that is not the smae thing. The only other advantage that you get is a longer sight radius if you are using iron sights, but if you use a scope, then that advantage goes away.

If you took a match barrel at 20 inches and cut it back it would actually have more accuracy potential by virtue of the fact that it gets more rigid.

So, the criteria to look at for your next barrel are:
- Who makes an accurate barrel?
-What kind of velocity do I need to have the desired effect at the intended range?
-Am I going to use optics or iron sights?

Otherwise you may have more weight and length than you really want, and reduce the handiness of the rifle.

Just some thoughts.