Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can't wait for range time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Can't wait for range time!

I just received my Brave Company full auto BCG in the mail, along with a #4 BCM Gunfighter charging handle, a spare firing pin and gas ring set. I also picked up last week, front and rear flip up/down sights by Magpul. I can't wait....... to go try it all out and zero the new sights......make sure the co-witness with my RDS is all good....looks fine to me though. I might even flop between the standard BCG and full auto BCG to see if I notice a difference in how the weapon feels/behaves.

Either way......I'm itchin' to go. Unfortunately....it's a weekend thing 'cos in CA.....and the big city..... you cannot just go out in your back yard or up the road a ways......... like some of you guys can, and just shoot to your hearts content...... something I am so envious of.

The last time I went out we went to a private range within a shooting range, and I worked the LMT hard....lot's of drills including rapid fire, double taps etc. The weapon was nice and wet and clean when I got there, and I kept it that way throughout the day. I gave the BCG at least two good squirts of Break Free CLP into the little lube holes, and in the housing, during the course of the session. Still, when I went to clean the weapon that night, I found a gas ring totally fried. I can only assume I pinched the ring at the last cleaning, which is disturbing to consider...... because in 30 odd years as a motorcycle mechanic and 1000's of piston ring installations, I never once broke a ring or improperly installed one. Nary a once!!!

My only thought also is that I used Break Free CLP on that BCG when I gave it a couple complimentary squirts. Turner's has been out of the Regular Break Free. I wonder if the cleaner aspect of the CLP reduces the straight lubrication properties at all? Somehow I doubt it.....but that gas ring burned up.

It is totally dry here because this is after soaking in solvent. I cannot tell if this is from a crappy installation or it got very hot and "seized" resulting in the edge of the ring snagging and being pulled out of the groove.

Anyway....based on what I have read here, the only AR forum I hang out at, I decided on getting the heavier full auto BCG and went with the BCM based on the glowing reviews here. Plus, now I have a complete spare LMT standard BCG......a spare firing pin and a stock LMT charging handle.

Last edited by Fumbles; 10-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Not to put a damper on your spirits, but isn't putting a "full auto" BCG in your AR illegal? ATF frowns on M16 full auto components in Civilian guns, even if it's only 1 part(well actually many smaller parts to make 1 part) and each part is a very hefty fine, because they see it as making a type 3 NFA weapon without the license. I think your FFL Dealer just lost his license if this is true, because they have to know the law, and being in California even. So I hope you have the proper License to do this, and if you do, you should of said so. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, because I just read an article on AR15.Com about differences between M16 and AR15(to keep them legal).
Del

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm pretty sure his FFl has nothing to do with as that can be shipped to your home. Just because the m16 bcg is full auto does not mean the gun is. Review your state laws but I think he is fine.

PSA/SA&A build AR15
Ruger 10/22

Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

A full auto BCG is not illegal in a semi auto civilian weapons as ruled on by the ATF. This information is widely available on the Internet. Many shooters when upgrading to a better BCG are running FA groups.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A bolt carrier group does not make a weapon fully auto. My understanding is it is a fully legal item (and a fully auto item ) and the increased dwell time aids in a slight increase in pressure resulting possibly in a very slight increase in velocity.

Also some people say it aids recoil and follow up. I don't know if any of it is true....but the BCM's get good reviews.

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Its only called a full auto carrier, because it is made a little heavier, to help the timing for full auto applications.

It cannot, in and of itself make your Ar full auto. It is not even necessary for all full auto applications. You can used a semi auto carrier for full auto guns if you wanted to. Its just a little heavier to slow down the timinig for full auto applications, and they usually has a little shroud that protects the firing pin as the bcg cycles. Really it is not necessary.

The only thng that can make your gun full auto, and is regulated is the FCG (fire control group). The BCG is not a regulated item.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Acutally I have a Rainer Arms Thunderbolt BCG. On my first outing, the same thing happened to my rings. I cleaned and lubed my gun before my first outing with it. I was a little confused as to why it wouldn't cycle underpowered wolf ammo. But for PMC and milspec 5.56 it cycled just fine.

When I discovered the problem, I changed out the rings and just like that I shot 100 rounds of wolf no cycling issues.

Dunno what caused the problem, but it hasn't happened again in a couple thousand rounds.... I guess I can attribute it to plain old break-in pains.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah......y'know, in all honesty, I just wanted the BCG with a bit more detail. Also some people were saying the LMT shipped with the full auto version but sometimes with SA bolt groups. That set me off......I wanted the "better quality" one. Yeah, supposedly the extraction is better.

But I agree.....there is probably hardly any noticeable difference. Oh well......I have the beginning of some parts for a second build.

I weighed the two complete BCG's and the difference was like 1oz or so.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 631

thats the dirtest bolt ive ever scene.. looks like it was dipped in mudd. you should probly just order a whole new bolt and start over.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

use 30 weight motor oil instead of gun oil for lubricant you will find your ar15 running much longer and easier to clean.

auto carriers have a longer underside to trip the auto sear.

the underside of the fa m16 carrier is longer than the commercial carriers so its got something to trip the sear just after the bolt fully closes on a fresh round. since the sear itself is considered the naughty part by big brother fed and peasents arent allowed to have fun they dont consider the carrier itself a forbidden item.

you can have everything in a ar15 full auto except for the sear and the hole in the reciever for the sear pin

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...