Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can the S & W MP 15-22 be converted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Older well if you call 47 yrs - Old? Will the mini-14 shoot well enough to put 10 rds in a torso target at 300m? If the answer is yes - that is all the accuracy I need - I hunt with Blackpowder flintlock rifles - this is a rifle to use for bad guys- not prairie dogs.

Maybe in the last 8 yrs since I retired from the USAF - the guns have changed but I carried the GAU 5A for alot of years and Not everytime - but during qualification it wasn't unheard of to have to clear a jam. During my time in a HFZ, I did not have lots of confidence in the gun

On the other hand - I remember firing my dad's M1s and never had a problem.

In case you missed it - I am left handed - I shoot left handed and the controls are the AR are not the easiest to manipulate whereas the safety on the Min 14 really is.

IE - Magazine changes AR - I have to take my support hand bring it back hit the mag release get a new mag and put it in - then I have to move my strong hand off of the pistol grip to hit the paddle to release the bolt, to chamber a round, and return my strong hand back to the pistol grip before engaging the target.

Mini -14 - Again I have to use my support hand to hit the mag release, insert a mag, but then all I have to do is move that same hand up and slap the bolt to chamber and round and I am ready to go. My strong hand never has to leave the pistol grip or stock and therefore is quicker to engage the target.

Safety - AR 15 - I have to use the trigger finger of my strong hand to sweep the safety offand sometimes this requires me to reposition my hand on the pistol grip and sometimes disengaging the safety is difficult.

Mini 14- Easy click on and off with my trigger finger.

Last edited by KHickam; 05-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Older not old

Firearms that come out of the arms room are not good sources to base opinions on. Most armorers are just like most people, driven to do just enough to avoid trouble. The firearms themselves are anything but impressive in my experience. Most of the time they are worn out and in need of parts replacement or replacement all together. I imagine your dads M1 hadn't seen thousands upon thousands of rounds by guys who could care less about the firearms up keep because that was the armorers job.

The AR is a great platform for lefties and shooting ambidextrous.There are a multitude of parts available for the AR to make it ambi. Most people are taught to shoot from boh shoulders anymore. This helps increase the ambi aftermarket. There are also manufacturers making ambi lowers from the factory. Ambi seems to be everywhere I look. Stag even makes left handed ARs. I'm a lefty. 90% of my ARs have ambi safetys and charging handles as well as BAD Levers which can be used as an ambi mag release.

I'm just saying if it were me and I was purchasing a firearm for possible defense I wouldn't settle. My wife and kid mean more to me than, it's good enough or it'll do. Stress is a MF. That 1 MOA group quickly becomes much more. Imagine what a 3 MOA group would do.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, I learned something new today - I did not know they made lefthanded controls for the AR platform.

But, I am thinking that would still be more the $750 for a basic rifle that I am willing to pay.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1067 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 605

i too was going to state that STAG makes lefty AR15s. as well as stag making good rifles. i have to and have only had one jam. that jam was due to an old magazine. if you are not interesting in takin the time to fiddle with, and make accurate the mini14, i say go with an AR. there are lots of good companys, lots of good ammo, lots of parts. you can have a great shooting rifle for $1000 or less as long as yo ushop around a little. might even make sense to build one. i hear its not too diffacult.

colt, stag, Rock River Arms, Daniel defense, Palmetto State Armory make great rifles. some that do the job but are rated aslightly less would be S&W,ruger,DPMS,bushmaster.

pay the money get something good and you will not regret it

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

See what an open mind will get you. That gear has been around for a long time now.

Look into a M&P Sport and some of Troys ambi products. The Sport is an entry level AR but is reported to have good accuracy and reliability.

I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune on an AR but as you move up the quality ladder things improve most of the time.