Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Can I shoot an AR on an acre? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/can-i-shoot-ar-acre-100183/)

rman598 11-11-2013 12:55 AM

Can I shoot an AR on an acre?
 
We have a couple of acres in ny and behind our house is a hill that raises up a hundred yards. We have a small range set up where we've been shooting .22s and shotguns. The hill is the backstop and we are a few hundred yards away from neighbors. Is a 223 too loud or powerful to shoot on our property? I really want one I just love how smooth they shoot and the recoil feels perfect to me.

MisterMcCool 11-11-2013 01:01 AM

A three hundred foot backstop seems more than adequate. Can you still acquire an AR-15 in NY?

JonM 11-11-2013 01:02 AM

22 is waaay too much for that short a distance with houses in the immediate background!! 223/556 will easily go up to 3000 yards under the wrong conditions!!

birdshot will go maybe 50-60 yards with any real force

SSGN_Doc 11-11-2013 01:04 AM

If you can shoot legally on your property and your neighbors are not going to freak out about the noise, then you should be fine. Really depends on your local laws and ordinances.

rman598 11-11-2013 01:12 AM

ive seen AR's for sale in stores and i have a friend who's selling one. The laws in NYS have just gotten so ridiculous though. I
can't even keep up what's legal and what's not.

robocop10mm 11-11-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rman598 (Post 1428511)
ive seen AR's for sale in stores and i have a friend who's selling one. The laws in NYS have just gotten so ridiculous though. I
can't even keep up what's legal and what's not.

Generally speaking earth is a great backstop. BUT, if the soil is rocky you will get some ricochets that will go in unpredictable directions. Exercise extreme caution. The first question is if you can even legally purchase/own an AR. The next is mag capacity. 7-10 rounds is just silly.

rman598 11-11-2013 01:26 AM

Yea I can purchase it and the mag thing sucks but everyone brings in the standard mags anyway. I know 2 former cops and a state trooper that own 30 round mags and bring em in from pa. And to the range i could just brig 10 round mags thats what everyone around here with ars bring so its not a problem. Again no one around heres getting arrested for owning a "high cap mag" or an "assault rifle"

Quentin 11-11-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rman598 (Post 1428520)
Yea I can purchase it and the mag thing sucks but everyone brings in the standard mags anyway. I know 2 former cops and a state trooper that own 30 round mags and bring em in from pa. And to the range i could just brig 10 round mags thats what everyone around here with ars bring so its not a problem. Again no one around heres getting arrested for owning a "high cap mag" or an "assault rifle"

I'd be very careful. Alas, the law's the law. Don't take chances with illegal equipment in your state. And be 100% sure your backstop truly is a safe backstop. We haven't seen it so can't say for sure from a distance.

rman598 11-11-2013 01:46 AM

But when the cops are also breaking the law you have to start to question it.

sputnik1988 11-11-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rman598 (Post 1428530)
But when the cops are also breaking the law you have to start to question it.

Civil disobedience is one thing, ignoring the laws because some police do is another entirely. Use your head, if you think they will let you get away with it because a cop does it you've got it all wrong. They are intent on destroying the rights of every man, woman and child and won't hesitate to burn you and any police officer who was "supplying illegal weapons and accessories"


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.