Can I legally order some 30 Round PMAG's from Midway USA if I live in New York State? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can I legally order some 30 Round PMAG's from Midway USA if I live in New York State?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttessnc View Post
what???? I am moving to western new york in a few months and have about 40 yes four zero, magazines. Are they all going to be illegal? I cannot have them? are you kidding me?

I heart NY .... um NOT!
Welcome to the Liberal stink hole that is NY! This is just one of the reasons I'm moving OUT!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

can I get some Military/National Guard status amnesty? Or do I have to put them in storage/well keeping of my father out of state? how about my telescopic stock on my AR and my shotgun?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

No NG amnesty for mags so definitely store them out of state. Doublecheck on telescoping stocks but I think you'll need them pinned. Better get to know NY laws real good before bringing in any firearms.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

**PAGING BKT**

Some good information listed here and you are correct that you can not take high cap mags with you behind enemy lines in the Kommunist Kamp of NY.

What's everyones fascination with PMAGS anyways? I've tried them. Yeah, they are lighter, but they are also polymer plastic. Once they are loaded and put in your vest or BoB, they are about the same as traditional mags.

I purchased some Cammenga Easymags and quickly discarded every other magazine I owned for my AR's. Recently sent a couple down to doctherock and he is curently enjoying them as well.

Check them out if you are in the market for some seriously durable, quick load, SHTF mags you won't have to worry about!

**** Disclaimer **** Some folks have experienced problems with the Cammenga mags if they are loading wildcat cartridges like .450 Bushmaster or .458 Socom

JD

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Unfortunately, any mag that can be identified as being manufactured after 9/94 is a no-no. Completely unmarked steel mags are fine as are mags with dates or other markings that show them to be pre-ban.

Swap the pmags for pre-bans or unmarked mags and you're fine.

Also, unless your AR is pre-ban you may need the following modifications made to it to be legal:

o pin and silver-solder the muzzle break in place, assuming your have a threaded barrel. If the barrel has nothing on the end, you're ok;
o no flash-hiders - they're illegal;
o no collapsible stock - must be fixed;
o bayonet lug must be ground down so it isn't usable;
o no suppressor.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
bkt

Actually, most of New York State is very conservative. It's New York City that always gets the attention and they're the collectivist screw-tards who mess up the state for everyone. (If you want a lesson in why democracy - mob rule - is bad, move to New York State somewhere outside of New York City.)

You may fart in most places in New York. You may NOT fart in New York City and most of the surrounding boroughs; people there hold it 'til they're 70 then explode. It's the way of things. As far as I know, it is legal to crack one off anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure if you bought some blocks for your pmags to kick them down to a 10-round max, you'd be OK bringing them. New mags can't have a capacity of more than 10 rounds. There's no limit on pre-ban mags.

If you can, either buy land you can shoot on or get friendly with folks who own land they'll let you shoot on. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than a club and you won't get any pecker-head cops and cop wannabe's telling your your stuff is illegal (even if it IS legal).

One more thing...I live near Rochester. In the city proper, it is illegal to have an AR of any sort. In any of the surrounding suburbs, it's just fine to own an AR. I don't know where in WNY you're moving to, but you might want to confirm the local laws.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

@BKT I will be moving to the Buffalo area. The modifications you listed make me sick. I cannot believe that things like a bayonet lug and GI flash hider are a no go. NYC makes me want to hurl. I wish they were a different city entirely like DC. Umm... my AR is going to hide in my house and be a renegade. I will not grind off anything.

thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
bkt

New York's legislature is packed with the least intelligent people the state has ever produced. These people truly are idiots. Who else would refer to a barrel shroud as "that shoulder thing that goes up" or worry about "heat seeking bullets"? Seriously, they base the laws they pass on completely erroneous information as well as their emotional reaction to how firearms look. They don't know what it is or what it does or how powerful it is, but they know they want to ban it.

If you're active duty or reserve, you should check to see if you can bring personal firearms that might step on local laws. Maybe you can, if they're secured at a local base.

For the record, I wish New York City would break off from the rest of the state. Of course, NYC doesn't want that because so many of our tax dollars go there.

Buffalo's a pretty neat town. Be sure to hit Mighty Taco sometime for a taste treat. I hope you like snow. Buffalo is sandwiched between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and that area gets a double shot of "lake effect" snow. At least the Bills are doing pretty well this year.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
New York's legislature is packed with the least intelligent people the state has ever produced. These people truly are idiots. Who else would refer to a barrel shroud as "that shoulder thing that goes up" or worry about "heat seeking bullets"? Seriously, they base the laws they pass on completely erroneous information as well as their emotional reaction to how firearms look. They don't know what it is or what it does or how powerful it is, but they know they want to ban it.

If you're active duty or reserve, you should check to see if you can bring personal firearms that might step on local laws. Maybe you can, if they're secured at a local base.

For the record, I wish New York City would break off from the rest of the state. Of course, NYC doesn't want that because so many of our tax dollars go there.

Buffalo's a pretty neat town. Be sure to hit Mighty Taco sometime for a taste treat. I hope you like snow. Buffalo is sandwiched between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and that area gets a double shot of "lake effect" snow. At least the Bills are doing pretty well this year.
New York doesn't give Active Duty any breaks. I had many weapons in various parts of the country for 20 years of Active Duty and my last stop here in WNY has been the most annoying.

I had to leave all handguns out of state, as well as anything else that would make me a felon in this state, but is legal in nearly very other state, maybe all others. The added benefit of living in the Buffalo area is that Erie county takes anywhere from 9 months to 15 months to get a permit just to be allowed to own a handgun in one's home. So if a military member comes into the Erie County area with a handgun, from the way it was explained to me, he is to turn over his handgun to the local sheriff until the permit is approved.

My question was what if it wasn't approved? My other problem was that New York requires the gun owner to list every handgun owned on the permit, it isn't a blanket permit. I have an issue with that. Next year we are moving even though I was born in NYC, I do not agree with the direction this state is going, gun laws are just the tip of the iceberg.

Buffalo's food is great, but it isn't worth the restrictions we deal with in regards to guns and shooting, or lack of places to shoot. Can't wait to move back to the Northwest. Someone said in another post that New York is otherwise conservative outside NYC? Dude, you haven't been to WNY. You should have seen how many Obama signs were out on my street last election cycle. I attend a private school right now on the GI Bill and in every class I am the lone conservative voice. Granted younger kids are usually liberal, but they usually mimic their parents.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #20

I've been all over the country and new york has to be the absolute worst place to be. Good luck to you chaps