Can I Get Some Clarification?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can I Get Some Clarification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Can I Get Some Clarification?

So, I am thinking about buying an AR-15 kit tomorrow, but upon further research I've found some potential problems. For the upper assembly, do I need a vice block, and the special wrench? I honestly has no idea this even existed, yet alone, that it was requirement. A pricey one at that. If I was to buy the kit, would I have to purchase these tools in order to assemble the gun? It was my understanding that The whole gun could be assembled with regular/slightly irregular tools (those I have) not gun specific tools and vice blocks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

IF you need to assemble the upper (Vs buying one that is assembled upon arrival) you should have the action wrench, torque wrench, and receiver block for the vise.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

The barrel wrench is the most specific tool I have used, I used my vice in my garage with a couple of rubber mats to protect the finish, But you will most likely need a barrel wrench.
I found one on another web site I visit for $10.
There might be someone in your area that may have one, But I dont know how you would go about posting a wanted note.
Best of luck

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 499

There may be some folks that know how to assemble an upper without a vice block. I invested in Brownell's basic kit, lower vise block, upper vice block and barrel nut wrench, a lower assembly tool kit (flat sided punch for the mag release roll pin, tool to assist with pivot pin detent), etc. I believe it was $100.

I am happy I bought the kit. I have not assembled an upper, yet, but I have installed a free float tube that required removing the original barrel nut. Without an upper vice block, removing and installing barrel nuts would put you upper at risk of some serious scratches or even breakage.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

what kit are you thinking about?? there are a few out there that you want to avoid.

you do need a barrel wrench of some sort to align barrel nut with the gas port. a reciever block isnt strictly needed but it helps for use with some wrenches. before i got a reciever block i made my wife hold the reciever wrapped in a towel. it doesnt take much torque to tighten a barrel.

a block helps more as a third hand and for removing tight barrel nuts.

wrenches and blocks are great tools since building your own your also gonna be repairing your own.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 AM   #6

The kit is unassembled, and I think I can get the wrenches for the barrel nut and stock, but there is no way I can drop the money on a vice block. Any other ideas for assembling the barrel and stock without using a vice block? I do have a vice.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
what kit are you thinking about?? there are a few out there that you want to avoid.

you do need a barrel wrench of some sort to align barrel nut with the gas port. a reciever block isnt strictly needed but it helps for use with some wrenches. before i got a reciever block i made my wife hold the reciever wrapped in a towel. it doesnt take much torque to tighten a barrel.

a block helps more as a third hand and for removing tight barrel nuts.

wrenches and blocks are great tools since building your own your also gonna be repairing your own.
It's a DPMS panther kit. Basic M4 stuff, nothing special

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Disregard...saw your above post too late.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

i wouldnt use a vice the reciever is very easy to crush. have a friend hold the reciever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
It's a DPMS panther kit. Basic M4 stuff, nothing special
thats a decent enough kit then.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
There may be some folks that know how to assemble an upper without a vice block. I invested in Brownell's basic kit, lower vise block, upper vice block and barrel nut wrench, a lower assembly tool kit (flat sided punch for the mag release roll pin, tool to assist with pivot pin detent), etc. I believe it was $100.

I am happy I bought the kit. I have not assembled an upper, yet, but I have installed a free float tube that required removing the original barrel nut. Without an upper vice block, removing and installing barrel nuts would put you upper at risk of some serious scratches or even breakage.
Here is a link to the kit I bought from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41214/Product/AR_15_M16_CRITICAL_TOOL_KIT