Can I carry?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can I carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can I carry?

I was looking at state laws for sc, and I didnt see anywhere that states I cannot carry my rifle in the truck on a rack, however it does state the gun must be in a case, and locked, could any of you guys give me any insight as to whether or not I can carry it in a gun rack, mind you the gun rack will either be an overhead model or one behind the seat, so it wont be easily seen by thiefs or cops...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7176 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Different states have different laws. I know the laws here in Illinois. You'd be wise to call the police department or state Department of Justice and find out exactly what the laws are for you.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

YEah I figured that but I was trying to see if anyone here from sc had knowledge on the matter, but thanks anyway

Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Surely we have someone that lives there....There's like 20 bajillion people here. That's a few more than several.

If you looked up the law and it says it has to be in a locked case then I would imagine a gun rack would not qualify. Unless you are trying to say the cab of your truck is the case and the doors lock it.

I looked around the SC Law Enforcement Division and found info about handguns, [sawed off] rifles, shot guns and machine guns. But not a "standard rifle" It is pretty late and I've been up a good while so you might want to see if you can find something there. [Link]

If you do find a definitive answer please let us know. One never nkows when that knowledge might come in handy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #5

Well I went up to the local gun range today and was talking to their gunsmith, and h es said that sc was no longer allowed to carry a rifle in a gun rack, loaded or unloaded, stupid legislation... He did inform me that the rifle had to be in a lockable case that was to the farthest rear of the driver, which means I would have to figure out a way to keep the case from shifting around n damaging the gun

Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

They make cases for vehicles that can be mounted. Though I'm not too keen on the practicality of something like this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

To quote from Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. --"Loaded rifles and shotguns may be carried in a vehicle by anyone unless such carry occurs in a state park, recreational area or wildlife area during hunting season." Then they need to be unloaded and cased. Also the usual public buildings, universities, etc. are off-limits.

Because laws concerning firearms change frequently, especially of late, check with the local authorities and/or the laws (from the web) before you risk it. (Just saying...)

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Well thanks for the info hnealg, I will still check local authorities just to be safe.

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but not for long" -Me
"Aim small miss small" -Mel Gibson "The Patriot"
"If at first u dont succeed, you didnt aim well enough." - Me

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ranger View Post
Well thanks for the info hnealg, I will still check local authorities just to be safe.
Always a good idea!

Gun laws tend to change with every session of your state legislature. One of the best, up-to-date websites for that information is Handgunlaw.us It concentrates on concealed carry but the guys who run the site are really quite good at keeping track of changes.

But the best source is, of course, the state government.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

gunlaws.com - State by State Firearms Laws

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved